Another "What is this"

Nick Johns

Looks like a walking beam arrangement between middle and rear wheels - presumably to keep the main body tub at the same height?

But are opposite wheels kept in the same alignment to stop the thing rocking from side to side? If so, then presumably no differential? So, good at going in a straight line! Nightmare.

The eliptical wheels presumably have the effect of continually transferring ground pressure from middle to rear and back again. Is the theory that this will help reduce slipping wheels on, or tendancy to dig into, soft ground?

What's it for? Probably an amusing experiment for those boys in the development shed.

Ideas what this was for, ..eliptical rear wheels??

Nick,

I thought that tractor looked familiar, it is based on the Allis Chalmers M7 snow tractor built for US Army. The idea was to change the ground pressure applied to aid traction, the rear wheels gear so that when one axles wheels were vertical the others were horizontal.

Just found a link;

http://www.geocities.com/grnegnham2001/M7_VARIANTS.html

It was an attempt to improve the off road capability of wheeled vehicles using eliptical wheels. The theory was that they would 'walk' over the ground rather than just roll but it required that the wheels on each side be driven in the configuration shown i.e. one vertical and one horizontal to even out the pitching effect.

I believe it was not overly succesful. There was a feature in Wheels and Tracks.

Interesting, we took our Pioneer out once to a show and a chap told a story of trialling these elliptical wheels, somewhere in the Andover area in WW2 period, can't remember where he said excatly. This idea was among some other weird and wonderful ideas. He sketched the idea out but I'd never seen a picture til now.