Oh6a

H1HU

Just thought you'd like to know that as I type a fully restored OH6A scout helicopter is being acceptance flown in the States. It will have its rotor blades removed at the end of the week and packed into a container for shipment to the UK. The Little Bird will join 509 on the show/air show circuit next year adding an extra dimension to the Vietnam theme.

Like 509 the OH has Vietnam history and is marked up as she would have been in 1970. Shot down by small arms fire whilst travel at 80knots at an altitude of 10 feet! Riddled with holes which were patched up. Eventually she was returned to Hughes for complete overhaul.

oh6a 231108.jpg

OH6A is the Cayuse.

The Kiowa is OH58 which was developed for the military as a light observation helicopter but the military turned it down in favour of the OH6. Bell then developed it commercially as the Jetranger which later the military returned to and put into service. Funny old thing military procurement.

And a Hind!! Now that is a piece of kit!

I was on a job in Angola and landed at Luanda airport, and off to one side of the arrivals building was a number of tooled up Hind gunships........welcome to Angola! actually i seem to remember that the terminal building had a similiar look as the one used in the Charles Bronson film "Raid on Entebbe" all very inviting :-D

The OH design still looks very modern today, so it must of been something to see when it first flew, especially compared to some of the stuff in service at the time.

Edited by Adam Elsdon
Underpants on the head and pencils up my nose..wibble

• 2 weeks later...

Oh the Hind is a hell of a beast. A couple came to Biggin Hill a few years ago, as they were carrying pyros and flares couldn't stay at Biggin so they came over to the hill top for the night. Had to organise a queue for all the boffins wanting a first hand poke. The OH has quite a record of service on it's own though.

Slightly off topic.Some years ago,me and a few mates stayed over at Biggin during the Airshow weekend.On the saturday night,with dusk fast approaching two A10,s from the 81st FW from Bentwaters flew in.It was totally unexpected for us,and we were freely able to walk alongside them as they taxied to the static park.Had a good chat with the pilots,and even managed to bag a seat in one and was talked through the controls.Those were the days....

• 1 month later...

Little Bird arrived Friday morning having cleared customs. Unpacked and put into the hangar for re-assembly, which will take no time at all as it was placed in the container almost complete. Now just need for the paperwork to be cleared to let it fly. Not as simple as it sounds unfortunately. Fingers and toes crossed.

H1HU

• 4 weeks later...

Well the cat is out of the bag if you have visited the huey.co.uk site. If you haven't then I'll get you up to speed.

The OH is back together but now comes the certification by the CAA. The MUTT arrived safely from the States this week. The artwork for the motorhome are now complete and the final piece of the jigsaw slots into place this weekend.

Phil and I fly over to LA for the Heliexpo which is held in Annaheim to official be handed the 'keys' for the Cobra. So that is the set complete. Arrival date of the Cobra will be worked out once Phil and company are brought up to speed to fly the machine.

So a busy summer ahead sorting everything out.

More pictures on the website.

H1HU

IMG_5402.jpg

P1010368.jpg