youngguns explorer blog

younggun

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad you got some bits sorted mate. nice one.

If it was me. I would fit the mateing gear in the beam to go with the end.

But thats only me.

Clive

protruckservices.com

Glad you got some bits sorted mate. nice one.

If it was me. I would fit the mateing gear in the beam to go with the end.

But thats only me.

Clive

protruckservices.com

Difficult one Nick, as Clive says it would be nice to keep the existing gear train but you need to weigh up the risk factor in trying to press the shaft out of the old gear and back on again. Whichever way you do it make sure you have a tiny amount of backlash between the gears measured in at least four places.

eveaning all .

just a little update on whats been goin on with this end caseing. i spent monday takeing it to bits so i can have a go at repaireing the taper and keyway at a later date and have ready any bits i need to go on to my other wheel station which i am yet to collect . i was supprised how easy it was to dissassemble the wheel staion brake drum came off ok and the shaft gear and bearings all pressed out of the caseing a treat. the only tricky bit of the job is getting the heavy lump on to the press table . but with help of a fork truck this was done with ease . so i am now in two minds to do the same with new wheel staion so i can assemble new parts in old caseing but ill make my mind up come the weekend. speed is of the escensce as next show is comeing up fast .

sory but no piccys of this little opperation as i was working in our workshop in a weekday so was hard to take pics working on my own so i just craked on with the job

nick

Edited by younggun

Fair bloke Nick, how big was the press you used? was it one of those modern red ones with a hand pump? or something propper and cast iron? No pictures:embarrassed: was looking forward to pics of this operation what a disapiontment:embarrassed: I feel all let down now:blush: good luck. If you dont get it sorted in time just chain the beam up and run it 5 wheels:-D

Fair bloke Nick, how big was the press you used? was it one of those modern red ones with a hand pump? or something propper and cast iron? No pictures:embarrassed: was looking forward to pics of this operation what a disapiontment:embarrassed: I feel all let down now:blush: good luck. If you dont get it sorted in time just chain the beam up and run it 5 wheels:-D

rearly sorry about the pics mate ill get some more of the rebuild operation for ya the press wasent that big by my standards but it mite be big by yours i used an press with an electric power pack to do the pumping and it didant seem to struggle at all just went with a small bang and it was free

My mate has one of those modern clarke presses with a large bottle jack on top and the thing is pure danger as it is made of steel and stores the energy like a spring and tends to send things flying:nut: My local smithy has a 1940's Denbigh hydraulic 150ton press that is so over built the thing weighs about 20 tons with a piston about 30" accross. things dont even make a cracking noise when they let go> he says the only problem with it is it won't take no for an answer and tends to flatten or distort things:shocked: Just goes to show old things are better than new stuff:-)

all gone a bit quiet here again:yawn: Must be bloomin work getting in the way of pleasure:D

wots a hard working guy got to do round here to be able to go grab a beer before he sits down with the laptop .

well the gd news is that there are 6 wheels on my wagon again crisis is officaly over as of yesterday

started off on sataday by goin down and removing the the replacement wheel station from a gd friend of mine,s spare axel which has sat out side for a gd few years . started by removing the hub to check eveything was gd before removing the caseing . all was well a little rusty but the internals where fine so the caseing and hub came home with me .

sunday was spent cleaning bearings removing rusted wheel studs from a gd wheel hub and replacing them with the studs from my bad hub the nuts on the inside of the hub where well rusted so had to resort to drilling and splitting them to get the brake drum off . i did intend on using my brake drum at first but just before i went to refit it i found three hairline cracks going across the stud holes so had to clean up the spare brake drum and fit that .

monday

headed down to work to start pressing out the parts from the donor wheel station and press them back into my original wheel station along with my original gear and shaft and hub from the donor . took a bit more force this time to press out the shaft from the gear and when it did decide to let go it did with an allmighty bang which lifted the dust from out of the roof . we had to press the bearing off the donor shaft as it was a little worn and this ment pressing out the keyways which was easy after a little head scraching on how to do it . we decided to let the bearing push them out as it was pressed off the shaft . next was to start putting things back together pressing all the bits back in went well. took a few attempts to get it right flipping the casing over a few times to get things in the right places but we did it in the end. the rest just bolting on the station and fitting the hub back on which is all done now , just needs a bit of oil in the caseing and its done .

and andy i have found a new use for your hub socket see if u can spot it .

040.jpg

045.jpg

002.jpg

051.jpg

044.jpg

032.jpg

029.jpg

059.jpg

Edited by younggun

Well done mate ! I'll let you off socket abuse as long as you get to War and Peace Show ! Oh and bring Dad (Oldgun) he'll love it ! :D

sorry about the socket abuse but its been made to exacly the same size as the bearing just perfect fot the job of pushing it back in without touching the shaft

• 4 weeks later...
Impressive articulation. What weight are you towing with three on the drawbar?

an explorer is about 12/13 tons so 3 of them is around 39 tones other explorers with bigger rolls royce engines pulled a lot more than my little meadows powerd one

Impressive articulation. What weight are you towing with three on the drawbar?

That ramp looks like it was designed perfectly to just clear the stowage rack on the Explorers!

Does it make use of the full travel in the walking beam or is there some in reserve?

The Meadows sounds purposeful pulling away with some load :cool2:

That ramp looks like it was designed perfectly to just clear the stowage rack on the Explorers!

Does it make use of the full travel in the walking beam or is there some in reserve?

The Meadows sounds purposeful pulling away with some load :cool2:

think there is a little bit more travel in the walking beams but not much . the ramp was designed just for an explorer so it only just clears the locker box . if i had somewhere to keep a ramp on the truck i would make one myself cus its such a great tool for showing off :-D

i didant realise how loud my little meadows was untill i let a friend drive it around the ring a bloxham on the saturday nite and i could hang out of the roof turret and listen but i did have to do a few mods to get it to sound like that before hand :whistle:

Edited by younggun