youngguns explorer blog

younggun

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well that's a bummer Nick, I can't see that being an 'official' fix because it is bound to damage the threads, at the torque needed, not good engineering at all. It can't have worked hence the welding.

My guess is that the taper and hub are so miss matched, beyond lapping in, or the key-way so b**gered that it just would not stay put.

Is this the only one that is welded?

No you have to be stupid to live up here in the hills. I really hope all turns out ok but that nut has had grub screws fitted and then been welded up so it must have come loose more than once. I am half expecting the taper to be screwed so mabey a new wheel station might be the best bet. fingers crossed for you but if it's anything my scammell it will be FUBAR, a simple job ruined by someone elses bodge:-(

Well that's a bummer Nick, I can't see that being an 'official' fix because it is bound to damage the threads, at the torque needed, not good engineering at all. It can't have worked hence the welding.

My guess is that the taper and hub are so miss matched, beyond lapping in, or the key-way so b**gered that it just would not stay put.

Is this the only one that is welded?

i havent looked at the others yet i am not that brave i think when the hub fell off the people who but it back together did not have the know how or the tools to get the hub tightend up properly i ground a little of the weld away then have it a little tap to get the feel and the nut turnd easily well untill it got stuck :blush: so i dont think it was every tighted up properly since it was last off

Whatever the cause it looks like another complete end is the best and easiest way to go forward, I wouldn't be using any more sweat on that one. Good luck mate, it seems bad but if Andy can get bits it should be pretty straight forward.

If the tapers are miss matched or knackerd ect the hub nut will tighten up ok but as soon as the truck is driven the hub will move on the knackerd taper the and the nut will loosen and taper will ware further. still fingers crossed for you:blush:

If the tapers are miss matched or knackerd ect the hub nut will tighten up ok but as soon as the truck is driven the hub will move on the knackerd taper the and the nut will loosen and taper will ware further. still fingers crossed for you:blush:

i cant see me getting much sleep this week :yawn: looks like freddy krueger has visited my explorer . A NIGTMARE ON TOLPITS LANE .

I have come across loose hubs when they were in service, you can hear them creaking when driven slowly. If the two tapers do not match, then the drive is taken fully on the key. The key then rocks and wears both keyways. I recollect fitting a new shaft and hub on one, it needed 35 tons to free the shaft from the drive gear.

Best of luck.

Nick. The only nightmare on tolpits lane was when leyland closed the place down.:-(

otherwise it would still be there, and not a poxy housing estate.

Clive

protruckservices.com

Edited by protruck

Hmmmm...... all gone a bit quiet on here.......must still be hard at it....or down the pub....or perhaps curled up in a ball crying in the shower:D

no i am not crying just yet rob . out and about at work at the mo jus parked up for the nite in york with a beer . praying this hub is goin to be ok . in the time i have had the truck and the miles i have coverd in him now i have never experienced any signs of a loose hub but it still worries me tho :-(

Edited by younggun

Hi Nick.

I haven't forgot about the hub nut drawing. my mate is on holiday for a week or so. when

he is back i'll give him a call.

Clive

protruckservices.com

cheers mate hopeing to get stuck into takeing it apart when i get home from work sataday

nick

well today was the day me and this little hub problem got to know each other a little better , after trying to heat the nut up to release it had failed i then looked into makeing another nut so i removed the rear hub cap and nut this time with great ease proveing to me that something was wrong in the other hub way before i got there . so after checking that a nut could be made i decided it was time that the stuck nut got introduced to MR gas axe which removed the nut wihout hardly any dammage to the threads form it only problem being the nut was hideng the most damaged threads . so things where not looking gd at this point . i then slackened off the brake pads to then have the hub nearly fall off and land in my lap . the sky started to cloud over at this point as now all hope of this being a simple fix was now gone . afrer laying the hub on its back the two keys where just lay loose in the bottom of the hub . not a gd sign me thinks :cry: and turns out that no oil was leaking from the seals all oil is leaking from the falcrum pin. decided after the all this bad news the best way forward was to take the whole walking beam end off which was fairly easy apart from it being a little chunky shall we say .

so i am now in need of a complete wheel station ( hub shaft and caseing ) wot are people,s thoughts on mateing a different wheel station off one truck on to another is this a gd idea? or will it require the gear wheel out of the casing mateing to the new hub to match ware pattens ?

brake shoes are like new so is the brake drum no rust wot so ever .

but while i have been writing this my replacment parts have been sourced allready so the happy ending is in sight after all

033.jpg

038.jpg

018.jpg

026.jpg

042.jpg

044.jpg

Edited by younggun

Good work Nick least you managed to find the parts. I woulden't worry about the diferent gears meshing as it's all barn door engineering really. might be worth looking up the part in the book about refitting the end case as i seem to remember reading something about shiming the end case with gaskets for correct mesh or something like that.