youngguns explorer blog

younggun

I used to run around with A Rubery Owen 2Ton Drop side with a box on it. They are very unstable with a high load. They rock on the cross pivot on the front Turntable. I had to weld box under the ends of the stops to reduce the travel to about 10-15mm and this made it much more stable. Don't commit to a long journey with the box on until you have been for a short run to see how stable the trailer is and how much the body rolls.

Mike

Totally agree with the above comment. A friend bought a similar trailer last year set up as a camper, which on the 26 mile journey up to W & P last year, looked like it was at sea on a rough day. At the very least have plastic crockery and glasses, it'll save a fortune over the years!!

Jules

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for the comments about trailer stability i have allready looking into modifiing the cross piviet by bolting some box section on to the stops much the same as mike did but if i bolt them on they can easily be romoved when needed .

thanks

nick

i have been trying to upload this bloody video since last thursday . bloody youtube,

any way floyd got called upon to go rescue one of my work mates from a sports field

nothing like playing in an explorer and getting paid for it :-D

Something went wrong...

Edited by younggun

Well the bad news is that Floyd has his picture in there :shocked: the good news is that there is a large pic of you driving Forceful.

The even worser news is that the headlamp is bent and you are named as driver, the even better news (for you) is that you can only be identified by your Tshirt, so you're safe from Jordan and the paparazzi! :-D

• 4 weeks later...

i once again apologise for keeping a low profile these days i find my self with less time than i would like at the mo.

floyd is well apart from a long developing air problem which as been diagnosed as the unloder valve being well and truly nackered . after trying to rebuild the thing severel times before i have had enough this time and it has been sent away along with another unloader which was lacking some parts to be rebuilt and tested , they went away on friday hopefully should have them back by tomorow lunch time .

in other news i have finally finished the trailer project ,all blasted painted and looking rather nice in new coat of deep bronze green . shall be moving on to next project now which will be finding and fitting out a suitible cabin coms body to go on the back.

first show is easter bank holiday i would like to think i would have a box on the trailer by then, but i doubt it .

so here are a few pics of my shiny new trailer. wanted to go for a spin with it but no unloader valve ment that was a no no :(

009..jpg

010..jpg

018..jpg

Edited by younggun

Hi Nick , sorry to hear about your unloader woes ! What where the symptoms please , in case we should experience similar problems ? Trailer looks great mate ! Lovely job ! :D

no problem andy. well the symptoms date back to war and peace last year but not untill now realized wot it was .all the symtoms pointed to an air leak as sometimes floyd would struggle to make 120psi. but the unloader valve worked fine blowing off when it reached 120 psi . now the problem had got worse withe engine idleing it would make 65psi on the presure gauge reving engine up would then make the needle slowly creep round to 120 but as soon as engine was ideling again the pressure would slowly drop back down to 65 psi at this time floyd was a bit on the clean side after i had been running around with a spray bottle off fairy liquid looking for leaks in the air system . some small leaks found but nothing to make up for the loss of air that quickly . so built up air back to 120 shut it off and very quicky proceded to take off the main feed to the unloader only to find air leeking backwards throug the valve .

so i decided after reading something on the net that it must be the one way valve inside the valve itself playing up and some how backfeeding the compressor cutting down its efficientcy .

http://www.railcar.co.uk/bulletin/092.htm unloader valves

http://www.railcar.co.uk/mechanical/controls/unloader.htm

Edited by younggun

• 1 month later...

well today i finaly got round to starting the hub seal job on floyds leaking hub ,

all started well got all that nasty chickin poo weld off the outside of the nut and cracked the nut off with no problems untill i got the nut about halfway off the shaft and thats where its decided to stay. i can not for the life of me shift it in either direction .:banghead: i know you all will be thinking that i must of noticed something wrong before it got stuck but i just took it as a bit of weld getting in the way so carried on , then after much head scracting and a gd douseing in wd40 i uncoverd two grub screws on opposite flats of the nut . ( i am banging my head off side locker at this point ) backed off the grub screws and removed them with ease considering i could hardly see them with the heads rusted up .

so after more head scratching decided to remove the wheel and apply a little heat . but that faild my blowtourch wasant big enough . so next plan is to drag the oxy up to where i keep the truck and got some propper heat into it .

here are some pics of my over engineered anti theft sloging spanner .

003.jpg

001.jpg

006.jpg

Edited by younggun

well today i finaly got round to starting the hub seal job on floyds leaking hub ,

all started well got all that nast chickin poo weld off the outside of the nut and cracked the nut off with no problems untill i got the nut about halfway off the shaft and thats where its a decided to stay i can not for the life of me shift it in either direction .:banghead: i know you all will be thinking that i must of noticed soumthing wrong before it got stuck but i just took it as a bit of weld getting in the way so carried on , then after much head scracting and a gd douseing in wd40 i uncoverd two grub screws on opposite flats of the nut . ( i am banging my head off side locker at this point ) backed off the grub screws and removed them with ease considering i could hardly see them with the heads rusted up .

so after more head scratching decided to remove the wheel and apply a little heat . but that faild my blowtourch wasant big enoufe . so next plan is to drag the oxy up to where i keep the truck and got some propper heat into it .

here are some pics of my over eginerd anti theft sloging spanner .

Blimey belt and braces there mate! The wheel must have come of in a nasty spot and the previous chap definitely didn't want it happening again ! I like the grub screw idea but looks like its bu66ered the thread a bit now ! Good luck with getting it off ! I have a lead on possible walking beam ends if it all goes pear shaped ! Regards and sympathy Andy :embarrassed:

Blimey belt and braces there mate! The wheel must have come of in a nasty spot and the previous chap definitely didn't want it happening again ! I like the grub screw idea but looks like its bu66ered the thread a bit now ! Good luck with getting it off ! I have a lead on possible walking beam ends if it all goes pear shaped ! Regards and sympathy Andy :embarrassed:

thanks andy ill get it sorted just as allways the rite tools for the job are allways hard to obtain just when u need them on a sunday afternoon . will have a look around at work and see if i can find a tap and die so a repair can be done or ill just make a new nut . well see when it comes off. it is just a matter of time and head scratching ,

dose anyone know if the grub screw idea is a MOD thing or a one off thing on mine , aslo wot is the correct thread on the shaft and nut so i can source a tap and die .

nick

Edited by younggun

thanks andy ill get it sorted just as allways the rite tools for the job are allways hard to obtain just when u need them on a sunday afternoon . will have a look around at work and see if i can find a tap and die so a repair can be done or ill just make a new nut . well see when it coums off it is just a matter of time and head scraching ,

dous anyone know if the grub screw idea is a MOD thing or a one off thing on mine , aslo wot is the correct thread on the saft and nut so i can sorce a tap and die .

nick

The only person I can think of who would have that info on the thread size is possibly Clive at Protruck Services mate ! Not in my manual or parts list as far as I can see ! :embarrassed:

The only person I can think of who would have that info on the thread size is possibly Clive at Protruck Services mate ! Not in my manual or parts list as far as I can see ! :embarrassed:

thanks for looking i just went to look in my manual but i have gone left it in the livingbox .

nick

Call that a spanner:cool2: thats not a spanner!!:rofl: Its a teeny tiny pocket spanner:pfrt: I'll show you a propper spanner:-D My spanner's bigger than you spanner ect.ect.

Nick what you cant see from this pic is that this is in fact part of Robs "Leatherman" multitool which he normally carries on his waist belt ! :D You've gotta be hard to live up on those mountains you know ! :nut:

ok ok yours mite be bigger rob but it dosent feature an anti theft device built in :D

bloody thing is so heavy u wouldant run off with it and if u did manage to get it into a vehical it will either slow u down or overload your vehical , think i went a little over the top with the spacer and nut made out of 6 inch solid bar :D