youngguns explorer blog

younggun

i decided to take the hub cap off floyd today to make a start on the pending hub job . hub bolts came out realy nice, threads well oiled all was looking good . took the hub cab off and the first sight which greeted me was the dreaded blue silicone again . which on my explorer is a forwarning u are about to come across one of the previous owners bodges :argh: i cleaned the oil from the end of the nut and found which i expect will be the first of many bodges the hub nut has been welded to the shaft to act as a locking method . i think they went abit over the top with the weld and that they were not very good at it .i am not immpressed :argh::argh::argh::argh::argh:

Edited by younggun

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the first of many bodges the hub nut has been welded to the shaft to act as a locking method . i think they went abit over the top with the weld and that they were not very good at it .i am not immpressed :argh::argh::argh::argh::argh:

Sorry to hear that, I very much suspect that the hub has been loose on the taper and this is to stop the nut coming loose.

The only good thing to say about this is that a Explorer owner I know (who shall remain nameless) had a hub come off, and welded his nut on but it did not work, the weld kept cracking and every time the nut/hub came loose again. If yours is still in place it may mean the hub is tight on the taper, you have done a few miles like that after all.

Possibly the easiest cure is to get another end casing complete with hub and fit that, you have to shim it to suit but a lot less trouble I would think, good luck with it whatever you decide to do.

i will give it ago and see wot happens . i am allso worried about the state of some of the wheel studs on that wheel aswell some of the threads seem to be damaged :shake: i bet explorer wheel studs are about as easy to find as lord lucan . :(

Edited by younggun

Sorry to hear of your woes mate. it's always a bummer when you get ready to do a job and find that "Bubba" has been there before and made an arse of it:( I am usually faced with rounded off nuts and bolts and having removed the offending nuts there is some kind if inovative yet utterly devistating bodge with shards of metal sticking out of it:mad:

:rofl:Picture of your comedy welded nut please:rofl:

Edited by rbrtcrowther

I hope it works, but there are obvious problems with your design.

1) the end of the screw on the "real" puller is recessed so as not to damage the centre drilling on the stub axle. The Centre drilling is on a raised portion, the end of the screw is bored out to miss this.

2) The "real" puller is bell shaped so that the flange where it bolts to the hub, (using the bollard cap bolts), pulls up tight to the hub.

You cannot tighten your puller down, unless you pull it onto the heads of the outer bearing adjuster screws, or fit equal length tubes to each of the bolts, so they act as packers to make the puller rigid with the hub when you whack the spanner with the sledge hammer. In either case you will need to source longer bolts.

Edited by antarmike

hubseals016.jpg

hubseals017.jpg

Counterbored end of screw, and raised centre on stub axle. Bright ring on end of shaft shows were puller screw actually works...

hubseals015.jpg

Bell shaped puller.

I hope that you can get it to work, It is just that I am on the second hub now, and each one has taken a real belting to get off, and if the puller isn't rigid with the hub, there will be a tendancy to twist the bolts, as the puller moves under the sledge hammer blows....

hubseals011.jpg

Skimmed the second drum today, First drum off was without damage, this one was pitted to hell.

hubseals013.jpg

Still got no real feedback as to what is the max rebore size for Scammell Explorer rear brake drums. I took out the minimum to clean up, I will see how they adjust but have now been offered spare drums, (condition unknown though)

Edited by antarmike

• 3 weeks later...

:tup:::rofl::rofl::rofl:Fantastic Thats a propper bodge! Even the attempted weld is piss poor:rofl: When you remove the other hub caps can you make sure you have a friend with a camera handy as the only picture better than this would be a picture of your face upon discovering more welded nuts:rofl::eek:

• 2 weeks later...
Explorer + Snow = Far too tempting!

tell me about it adrian, if we get the snow we are forecast this tuesday i am goin straight down and getting the explorer out to play

still loveing your diamond t resto

nick

Edited by younggun

ahh bernard ! i took your advice !

and it was a nice day to go for a drive evan tho it was a little dark by the time i had finished showing off at the local MC donalds :-D

" width="644" height="390">
">Something went wrong...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taSIwH0U2rU

Edited by younggun

thanks andy had a feelin u would be the first to discover my vid . only my first vid of many in the future all i need is a bigger stick to poke the camara man with from across the cab

a happy new year to u as well mate

nick

Edited by younggun