Trailer, agricultural or military?

Papav66

Question

I received this pic from someone who thought this might be a searchlight trailer but I don't think it is. The wheels and tyres look military, so any ideas what this is please?

Location: 200m from what was a searchlight battery near Coventry.

Trailer.jpg

Edited by Papav66

12 answers to this question

Can't see the wood for the trees then? I have also seen the front of lorry chassis cut off to make trailers. the axle and propshaft and gear box were left on, with a PTO shaft welded to the Lorry gear box. Made an intresting drive when hooked up to an old Fordson Major.

Can't see the wood for the trees then? I have also seen the front of lorry chassis cut off to make trailers. the axle and propshaft and gear box were left on, with a PTO shaft welded to the Lorry gear box. Made an intresting drive when hooked up to an old Fordson Major.

An old Fordson Major was an 'interesting drive' without anything hooked up to it:eek::rofl:

I'm inclined to agree with the theory about the timber forwarder, but wonder what the origins of the steel arch would have been. Could it have been a mounting ring for a gun of some sort that has been cut up, or would it have been that shape originally. It certainly was built for a very heavy application. Any ideas?

Logging arches normally have a pully at the top of the arch, so that a crawler tractor with a rear mounted winch can lift the front of the log, so only the back end of the tree drags the ground. I can see no evidence of a pulley wheel so I can't immediately see that this is a logging arch...

Edited by antarmike