It's Will from East Sussex.

Swill1952xs

OK Will now to get you fired up here are the other two photos i have in a set of the Albion tipper plenty of ribs underneath to consider, if you feel the SWB general service is the route you want to take heres what it should look like, for interest the reg is 85 BL 38

cheers

Les

hmvf1.jpg

2.jpg

hmvf3.jpg

hmvf4.jpg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome aboard Swill - apologies for not sending you a welcome PM. We are being spammed to hell at the moment and I do miss things at times. Butwelcome and what a stunning truck - some real gems still out there (ask N.O.S.)

You are in good company in the clubhouse as there are some Brit mv loving folks in there, you will spot them - they tend to spend their time staying at the American motor pool........

For what its worth I think a restored tipper would look the B-----ks ! :-D

I'm inclined to agree with you. I could just see it in my mind lined up with some Matadors, Explorers, Poineers, Militants etc. I'd love to see it with a low loader plant trailer behind it and a Weatherill (Is that spelled correctly) loading shovel perched on it. :goodidea:

You are in good company in the clubhouse as there are some Brit mv loving folks in there, you will spot them - they tend to spend their time staying at the American motor pool........

:rofl::rofl: Oh, Jack,..........we're NOT envious,.........just curious as to why you've all got your STEERING WHEELS on the WRONG SIDE. :cool2:

Welcome Swill, as David and Graham have already mentioned, there are a growing band of 'east sussex-ers', lurking here.

All the best,

Andy

• 2 months later...

Hi Dudes,

Things may soon start happening with my dear old Albion. I paid it a visit today to prepare it for being moved to its new home.

I think it must be somewhere in the region of eight years since it was last running and driven. It was looking very dilapidated with a green haze (Micro vegetation, sadly; not paint) covering over half of it. The cab windows were opaque, and the tyres were all nearly flat. :cry: Thank God mine's a diesel conversion, as I wouldn't like to try and start a petrol one after all this time.

I put a pair of brand new Transit batteries on it and was rather despondent to find the starter wouldn't work. Fiddling around with the ignition switch soon sorted that little problem. I gave it a try before I put some water in the cooling system and guess what? It started like someone drove it yesterday............ bl**dy amazing innit. :yay:

I filled the cooling system and started it again, connected up the tyre inflator and pumped up the tyres, pressure washed the outside of it and removed the front wings which have now collapsed and fallen from their mountings. After freeing off the handbrake lever, I drove it out of its parking space :) to finish washing it. It looks a hundred times better already just by washing off all the slime and dirt.

I will take some pictures of it when I move it, which should be mid Feb.

The engine is a bit smokey when it starts up (Diesel smoke) and accelerator response is a bit delayed, but I suspect the fuel filter is probably nearly blocked, and it has some old, if not very old gas oil in the fuel tank, which probably isn't helping either.

Next on the list is a visit to my other Albion (Front half) known as "Arfur" and see if it is still where I left it, as I haven't seen that one for a couple of years. That was the one I bought from Crouch's at Husbands Bosworth. I would love to try and start that one too just out of curiosity, as it has a more modern and more powerful version of the engine fitted to the one I will restore. I'm led to believe this engine is a bit of a snorter. as Dave Crouch used it himself for recoveries.

I will keep you posted on that ones progress :).

good luck will, make sure you post lots of pics, ive yet to find out how to do that on the computer:confused:, only just worked out the digi camra :-D

regards

Have you stored your photos on your computer ? If yes it is straight forward to upload them as attachments to posts now ! Believe me if I can do it it must be simple ! Andy F:-D

Sounds about ready for a road run, but do tax and insure it first :-D

As it doesn't need an MOT, I had actually thought about taxing and insuring it

to move it to its new home to save the cost of haulage. (Just joking really) It is nearly roadworthy though.................. the headlights and the O/S semaphore indicator still work. The semaphore indicator works so well that I wouldn't want to get in its way when it comes out. It would be like a Karate chop :-D

Have you stored your photos on your computer ? If yes it is straight forward to upload them as attachments to posts now ! Believe me if I can do it it must be simple ! Andy F:-D

thanks andy, they are on the computor, i will try get some on

regards

As it doesn't need an MOT, I had actually thought about taxing and insuring it

to move it to its new home to save the cost of haulage. (Just joking really) It is nearly roadworthy though.................. the headlights and the O/S semaphore indicator still work. The semaphore indicator works so well that I wouldn't want to get in its way when it comes out. It would be like a Karate chop :-D

As there are a few HMVF'ers in this area, Swill, I'm guessing there may be folk able to help, with the move,........acting as rear lights/indicators/long stop, etc if needed.........give us a shout, if required. :)

All the best,

Andy

Thanks for the offer of help moving my truck. The person who owns the land it is now parked on has a beaver tail six wheeler and should be able to move it for me for about a hundred quid. Another alternative was to tow it, but it has worm and wheel diffs so I wouldn't have thought it would be possible.

This one does have the advantage of power steering which was fitted in Freshfield Lane brickworks workshop.

I will take some photos when it is moved. Photographing it at the moment is impossible as it is parked between some trees and a barn, :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ya, love the Old 10 ton Albion Cargo. That is the model we had in your neck of the woods in the early 1960's.

Royal Engineers (RE TA at Preston Barracks Brighton. And thereby hangs another tale. Having posted it on another site, is it ok to redo it on here?.

Could one of the site administrators please advise.

Hi, yes, this was a Scammel Constructor RE. It was paired with a Tasker 20ton low loader, and designated for plant vehicle transport in a Field Park Squadron.

I do not have much recall of the technical spec. but There is probably something on line, which I will search out for you.

In the picture, that is either a Catterpillar D4 or Fowler Mk.7 bulldozer on the trailer. Though it was used for much of our plant. The loading method was 2 pairs of rear wheels across the back, each pair fixed by a large nut and with curved, slotted capture brackets, which, when you jacked up the rear end with hand operated toe jacks and undid the Large nuts, would allow the wheels to come away in pairs, you could then adjust the toe jacks.

The engine was a Rolls Royce Petrol, and when connected and fully loaded, I understand we got between 1 and 2 miles per gallon.

The gear selection was via a Plywood fretwork type gate.

That is a start.

Incidentally, I have just seen mention of the Albion 10 ton machinery , (Workshop), wagon, we had one of those as well, a fantastic mobile workshop, where our guys made allsorts.

Hi, yes, this was a Scammel Constructor RE. It was paired with a Tasker 20ton low loader, and designated for plant vehicle transport in a Field Park Squadron.

Thanks very much. I didn't know these lorries were used by the TA. Did you ever get to drive one ?

Hi again. I believe the gear Maze as I called it, was standard and mounted on brackets to the floor.

Yes I did get to drive it, but only a couple of times, and much to the chagrine of the Plant Sargeant, who tried to keep it for himself, I think the driving position gave best public display of his brilliant white chevrons. Ha ha

Hi again. I believe the gear Maze as I called it, was standard and mounted on brackets to the floor.

Yes I did get to drive it, but only a couple of times, and much to the chagrine of the Plant Sargeant, who tried to keep it for himself, I think the driving position gave best public display of his brilliant white chevrons. Ha ha

Thank you for your reply. If you have any more photographs, or stories, about these Scammells maybe you would be kind enough to post them on the 'Scammell Constructor' thread in the 'Transporters and Wreckers' section.

Here.

http://www.hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?t=7308

Edited by 6 X 6