WW2 165 mm Howitzer

A friend is looking to buy a WW2 165 MM howitzer. I know no more about it than that. The Centurion AVRE packed a 165 mm howitzer and the US Army had one during WW2, but i would think that would be a very rare beast. Does anybody know of any survivors or other nationality that it might be?

Thanks

Tim (too)

Is there such a thing? The US Howitzer was a 155mm surely and the Cent 165mm is not really a howitzer as it's more of a demolition gun and was not used in a field mount.

The US 155mm does exist in private hands, Bob Fleming brought a small number back from Bosnia. I did toy with the idea of getting one to tow behind my M5 HST but decided it would just be the worlds most useless trailer! Lovely thing though....

As far as I know a gun on a tank is called the main Gun and a Howitzer is from the Artillery family and is pulled behind another vehicle so what is it you friends is looking for? This is my M1 A1 155mm howitzer Dated 1943.

1551.jpg

1553.jpg

hmvf3.jpg

hmvf2.jpg

hmvf1.jpg

There was apparently a WW2 US 165mm howitzer (according to the "boys books of artillery and military hardware, 1954 edition)". I will try and scan a pic of it for you later on.

Anyway, i was alerted to one coming up for auction soon. See this site - but there is no photo.

http://www.wellersauctions.com/Special1.html

Sadly it has now been withdrawn from the sale - no reason given. Anyway, it looked to big for a WW1 truck to tow. If anybody is aware of a WW1 artillery piece that they want to sell do send me a PM please.

many thanks

Tim