Review:-Warton in Wartime by Harry Holmes

Willyslancs

This book is fantastic for pictures of Nose art,air crews,planes,vehicles,and detailed shots of the mechanics and airman going about their jobs at the air base .

It tells in detail of the Warton near Blackpool air base which during ww2 was home to Bad 2(base air depot 2 ).Here they repaired aircraft and got them back on their way again.(Bing Crosby and Glen Miller landed here too!)

I have had this copy years , but it is worth looking out for .

It was published in 2001 by Tempus Publishing Limited .

warton 002.jpg

• 3 months later...

How's this for a link with Warton -

Just had tea with a neighbour and he got talking about using Amazon for books - at my mention of Warton in Wartime he told me the following story:

He had an op. at the RAF orthopaedic hospital in Ely in mid 70's and met a pilot who had been there for 2 years. The pilot was test flying a Lightning from Warton, out over North Sea climbing, turn around and come over at max altitude and speed. All ok, then as peak speed was reached the plane started to vibrate and then break up, so he ejected - the main seat chute shredded instantly but the reserve chute lasted for at least a while (they think).

They found him sitting in the ejector seat in the centre of a 30 foot crater on Morcambe Sands - they had estimated his landing spot from the trajectory and found him quickly - and amazingly he had survived.

He was 4" shorter than before the incident, and was expected to remain hospitalised for a further 2 years. Wow.