Corowa 2009

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lauren that's a good idea, we in Australia are sending 15 Vehicles to Normandy 2009. Shipping them to Greece in containers and then driving to Normandy, so if it can be done one way it can be done the other way. I would not just come for the Corowa event but make a trip of it like Richard and CW.

I would provide all the help I can from this end.

we in Australia are sending 15 Vehicles to Normandy 2009. Shipping them to Greece in containers and then driving to Normandy,

WOW !!" NOW thats a trip good luck to all

steve

Update on this trip.......apparantly they were going to ship the vehicles to Athens, but problems have arisen there, so I understand that they will be unloaded at Istanbul now and the trip will include a visit to Gallipoli.

Damn it!! This is a year too early!!! :cry:

We're commited to Colorado next year and are returning to Oz (Brisbane area) in 2010.. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Neil,

Corowa is an annual event, so no worries about 2010. If my memory serves me, that years theme is "Year of the British Vehicle". I have attended the event on 4 occasions between 1996 and 2001, going there with a friend in his MV, and it is a very enjoyable week.

The website appears to be down at present, hopefully only temporary, but if you want any more info, I know one of the organisers.

G'day Richard and others,

You know two of the organisers. I'm now President of KVE Inc. The organisation that runs Corowa now. Any one who is part of the organising committee for any Big event will know that it is a lot of hard work. We have been at it since March. It is all coming along well now. Still a few problems to iron out. Mostly with tracked vehicle movements on public roads. A problem since an idiot stole an APC in Sydney last year, ( a disgrumpled ex-empolyee of the owner), and went on a rampage against 19 targets (telecom and others).

I'll check the Corowa 30 site for you. (Jan is in NT on a well earned rest at the moment.)

Regards Rick

Certainly be interested - thanks Richard!!!

A lot of my friends from the days with the Regiment have emigrated to Oz over the last 10 years because they have problems with the way the UK is going so the plan is to visit a few of them in 2010, They might even be interested in going too!!

With only 5 months to go until the event which we anticipate will be the biggest yet I decided to join this forum so I can provide updated information to people from throughout the world who now attend.

Proposed Program of events:

Monday 9th March:

Welcoming participants

Tuesday 10th March:

1pm: Tour of Bandiana Army Museum

Wednesday 11th March:

10am-12md: School visit

Thursday 12th March:

Trip to Maurice Wilson’s. BYO lunch

9am: Amphibians depart Ball Park

10am: Vehicles depart from Corowa Airport

11-11.30am: Amphibians arrive

6pm: Civic Reception at the Corowa RSL club

Friday 13th March: 8.30am: Trip to Milawa

5.30-6.30pm: Talk by Major Graham Docksey

Saturday 14th March:

7.30am: Vehicles departing airport

7.45am: formation of parade

9.00am sharp: Parade departs and goes to Corowa Airport

9.45: Swap Meet commences. Corowa Rotary Club to run this event.

12.30: MLU photo & Yappy forum photo

Vehicle activities at Corowa Airport and Ball Park

6.00pm: Rotary Club meal at Ball Park

7.30pm: Presentations and Auction at Ball Park

Sunday 15th March:

Farewell for people heading home. Vehicle activities at Ball Park

7.00pm: Depart for Corowa RSL

8.00pm: Carvery at Corowa RSL

For anyone who is interested in updates please send me an email and I will include you on the KVE data base. The email is kveinc@optusnet.com.au

Edited by Jan (Swim-In)

A couple of photos from past Corowa events, these are from 1999. The Murray river was in good flow then. The other photo is of "Half Safe", a GPA, which went around the world in the Fifties, first leg was across the Atlantic. It was then rebuilt in England and later continued on its trip including a long leg swimming across the top of the Pacific. After reading the book about the trip, it was eye opening to see it and how small it was inside. This GPA was specially transported to Corowa from its resting place on display at a school in Western Australia.

Amphibs.jpg

Amphibs 001.jpg

Richard, I actually got to drive Half Safe at Corowa that year. Not in the water though. Not too many people can say that they have driven a vehicle that had circumnavigated the world under its own power. There probabley isn't another anywhere. Half Safe now lives in airconditioned comfort in Western Australia. We have to thank Bob Dimer from WA for bringing Half Safe right across Australia for the event. I don't think it is going to happen next year for 'The Year of the Amphibian'.

Regards Rick

Each year we give participants the opportunity to nominate a theme and next year they will be nominating the theme for 2013. In 2010 it will be Year of the Jeep, 2011 will be Year of British and European Vehicles and in 2012 it will be Year of the 6X6.

2011 sounds interesting Jan - find me a way of getting myself plus 9 tons of Stalwart over there that won't end up in the word "divorce" over here and I'd be VERY interested!!! :-D :-D :-D

Hi Neil,

Don't worry about bringing out a vehicle just book your flight and come out and join us. We have had a number of overseas people attend and they actually can have more fun than those with vehicles as there is always someone around who can give you a lift.

This has become the largest military vehicle event in Australia. I am now trying to find out if it is the largest military vehicle event in the southern hemisphere. I don't like to promote it as the largest military vehicle event in the southern hemisphere unless it really is. Does anyone know?

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
Richard, I actually got to drive Half Safe at Corowa that year. Not in the water though. Not too many people can say that they have driven a vehicle that had circumnavigated the world under its own power. There probabley isn't another anywhere. Half Safe now lives in airconditioned comfort in Western Australia. We have to thank Bob Dimer from WA for bringing Half Safe right across Australia for the event. I don't think it is going to happen next year for 'The Year of the Amphibian'.

Regards Rick

I remember the book but since loaning it i find its probably not come back to me.If i remember didnt it keep burning out exhaust vaves due to the constant engine speed?

I remember the book but since loaning it i find its probably not come back to me.If i remember didnt it keep burning out exhaust vaves due to the constant engine speed?

hi CW,

That is right, he had to regularly had to lift the head to do the valves. One wonders what it is like to be bobing about in mid-Atlantic, trying to get the valves out :shake:. The access to the engine was not great. The book, "Half Safe", only told some of the story, from USA to England. Once here, he reworked the vehicle, before recommencing the round the world journey, via Europe, through Turkey, then Baghdad, Delhi and Calcutta. From here it was back in the sea to Freemantle, Australia. After a break he was back in the sea to Calcutta, then to Rangoon and Bangkok, onto Hong Kong and Shanghai. Onward to Japan, then north up the Pacific to the Aleutian Islands, then Anchorage, Alaska. Then it was by land to Vancouver, Los Angeles, then East across the US to finish where he started in Montreal.

This makes your Africa trip sound like a picnic :-D

This second part (UK onwards) is covered in another book, which is equally entertaining. It is called "The Other Half of Half-Safe", by Ben Carlin

If I cant come to you then can you come to me?

corowa2008.jpg

This was my first year at Corowa and I was impressed with the restoration of all these MV,s. Even thou I had been working at the Tank museum for a number of years I had no idea that there was so many still running around. That is when I joined this forum as it was the best and had great pictures of all the vehicles that I would love to have and see.

This is for general discussion and I have put it in military terms for simplicity.

Situation

In 2011 it will be the year of the British Military Vehicle at Corowa (dates to be advised).

Mission

To have accumulate as many British Military Vehicles in Corowa as possible.

(I have nothing to to with this event)

Execution

This is the tricky part getting your vehicles in Britain and Europe to Australia.

1 How many vehicles can you fit in a container?.

2 What is the cost of shipping a container?.

3 Would you ship them home or sell them after the trip?.

4 Would you only come for the Week of activity's or longer?.

Admin and Logistics

1 Can you get sponsorship?,2011 is the 110 anniversary of the Commonwealth of Australia, and the first time that we as a independent nation deployed troops in support of the British empire. (Boar War). This is just an idea of a good will tour downunder to celebrate this occasion.

2 Can you get the British Army to provide Tech support?.

3 If it was for a longer period where would you want to go?.

4 What is the maximum distance that you could travel in a day with comfort considering the age of the vehicles.

Communication

Via this forum

This is just an idea and it will take someone, to take the bull by the horns and run with it. I will provide all the help that I can provide.