M113 Aust

Shakey985

Here are some pics of a MRV based on the standard M113A3 (our M113 fleet is currently being rebuilt into the M113A4, lengthened with one extra road wheel, new engine, new steering and new turret as an infantry vehicle) We trialed the British series of vehicles available in the 60s but chose the M113 family of vehicles.

MRV1October2008006.jpg

MRV1October2008007.jpg

MRV1October2008005.jpg

MRV1October2008002.jpg

Our MRV is fitted with a Scorpion turret and so cant be up graded.

Tracks are live pin type from Canada T130 or rebuild T130E with pads.

Torsion bar suspension with support arms 4 shock absorbers. the road wheel hubs are the old type with viewing holes for the oil level now filled with grease

Track shrouds and buoyancy tanks are fitted to the front and sides

Edited by Shakey985
add info

The vehicles were originally fitted with a petrol engine V8 but we soon changed to the GM Detroit Diesel 6V53 215 HP.

The only problem I had was braking the blower shaft which was a half hour job to fix.

MRV1October2008019.jpg

MRV1October2008016.jpg

MRV1October2008013.jpg

MRV1October2008009.jpg

MRV1October2008010.jpg

To remove the power pack was easy as was ackses to the other component.

The Diff is in the center front contains 2 sets of brakes for normal steering cooled in oil, power is then transferred to the final drives via prop shafts. Just prior to the final drives are 2 disc brakes for pivot steering.

We had problems with the internal brake pads in the diff and also prop shafts braking, all fixed with better compound pads and larger prop shafts

So its basically a US / Brit hybrid...

Why the extra roadwheel? For better road handling or stability?

Yes this was done in the late 70s after Vietnam, during Vietnam we put Saladin turrets on, 4 served in Vietnam as FSVs (Fire Support).

The Saladin Turrets were installed from our in service Saladin's,

The Scorpion turrets were purchased and fitted under license from the UK so are a UK/US/Aust combination.

The extra road wheel is on the new M113A4 still in production by ADI and is due to lengthening the vehicle for better troop caring capacity.

Edited by Shakey985
to clarify

MRV1October2008031.jpg

MRV1October2008032.jpg

MRV1October2008025.jpg

Radio gear is now out of date, but is the old Vic 1 harness U/S.

rear with ramp down.

This is an Australian vehicle based on the American M113, we installed new diesel engines, the built in fuel tank was replaced with a separate tank in the same place, belly armour and turrets.

We have fitters, recovery,ACV as well as TLC M548.

To drive, as its the only vehicle that I have spent some time on I would say its good and reliable for what it does. With all front engine tracked Vehicles it tends to dive into holes. Chasing Leopard across country is hard but due to its size it can out maneuver and hide in better places.

They had to be maintained all the time by both the driver and crew commander especially when fitted with rebuilt track.

They can swim with minor preparation.

I hope this gives you a good comparison to the vehicles available in the UK.

Very nice vehs, very similar to a 432/30. Drove a 113 once in Cyprus, the Canadians (PPCLI) regt day was the same as ours. They nicked our SSm's Mk 1 ferret, painted it pink and filled the bins with concrete. In retaliation a group of us stole one of of there 113's and hid it in the Naffi compound by removing a six foot panel fence, driving it in the replacing the fence. When the CIVPOL came looking for it they never thought of looking the other side of the fence. They volenteered me to drive it as i was a 432 driver and it's basically the same to drive.

Barry

Have only ever seen the one from Bovington which was the vehicle the UK had for evaluation. Bov loaned it to the W&P show a few years ago, but it is a non runner, I think. Shame. I always liked the look of the Aussie FSV with the Saladin turret. In my archiving job at News Int I remember saving loads of superb shots of Canadian M113s in Bosnia. Some idiot decided to bin them one day and the whole lot were chucked. Not impressed. The most potent one I've seen is the Vulcan used by the Israelis. Gatling gun turret jobby. Nasty.

Thanks for posting these snaps Shakey...more please when you can

MB

90-735.jpg

90-201.jpg

2 more photos

M113 fording a creek and the T50 Turret on the firing point.

These turrets were used in Vietnam by Australia, you could have a 30/50 cal combination or twin 30cals.

Its a small turret with not much room for all the other things a crew commander needs. We did have a sighting system but that was dispensed with as useless and only got in the way. A good crew commander could fire on the move by bracing him self against the guns and so keeping the rounds on target.

When I was in Recon Troop we fitted a pintal mount as well for a 30cal, this worked well as you could bring rounds on target a lot quicker, we also mounted small bins on the side of the turret for storage.

TLCs advance to deliver stores

Myoldjob002.jpg

Myoldjob001.jpg

Myoldjob.jpg

Creek crossing Pucka range

Myoldjob003.jpg

Myoldjob004.jpg

You don't no what else lurks on the bottom

Myoldjob006.jpg

That's all folks the rest are from different Ex's and mainly M113's with T50 turret.

When I get the opportunity of looking at the new M113A4 I will pass on some Photos.