This is the answer -what is the question?

Jack

This is the answer -what is the question, it is WW2 based....

Height-47 cm

Width -34 cm

Deep -16 cm

Weight - 4.1 kg

NOTE FOR THE SENIORS - all above measurements are in metric....:coffee:

The new display case for the Bart Vanderveen award.

Measurements in metric as it's only recently constructed. :D

This is the answer -what is the question, it is WW2 based....

Height-47 cm

Width -34 cm

Deep -16 cm

Weight - 4.1 kg

NOTE FOR THE SENIORS - all above measurements are in metric....:coffee:

Allthough the S.I. system of metric measurement doesn't really use centimetres. The preferred units of metric measurement are the Millimetre and the Metre.

therefore:-

height = 470mm

width = 340mm

Depth = 160mm.

For some reason we teach our kids at school to think in Centimetres, but Engineering and Science don't use it.

Why do we do that?

and yes I know Centi is listed in the S.I. system, but the preferred units increase from the fundemantal units is by 10 to the power of 3 or decrease in units of 10 to the power of minus 3. Centi is 10 raised to the power of minus two, and as such its use as a sub-unit is deprecated. Remember the S.I system was born out of the m.k.s. sysytem not the c.g.s system.

Also for this reason, the continued quoting of volume in cc (Cubic Centimeters) is also deprecated in the S.I. system.

Edited by antarmike

A lot of British industry was using metric during the war. The AEC Matador uses (some) metric beaings in its gearboxes, The shaft through the winch rollers is metric and not imperial, and the P.C.D. of some flanges, (and pin spanners) are in mm.

It must not be assumed that all of British industry was using Imperial as its only measurement system.

Edited by antarmike

AEC used metric for Pin centres on the Injector tool, Piston Diameters, hole centres for the fan removal tool, Clutch splined hub removal tool, dollies for pressing in and out the cylinder liners, withdarwal tool for the font hub packless gland rubbing piece, dimensions for the road spring shackle pin wihdrawal tool, steering drop arm removal tool, spanner for the worn shaft retaining nut, spanner for bearing cage cover (worm and nut steering) and the tool for alighning fuel injection pump and exhauster ( on RAF matadors).

The Main and big end dimensions are based on 85mm and 68mm respectively and the undersize shells and regrinding sizes are

-0.5mm, -1.0mm, -1.5mm, -2.0mm ,-2.5mm etc.

Metric seems fine for a lot of WW2 british engineering. (but it should be in millimetres not Centimeters!!!)

And if Jerrycan is the correct answer, we ripped of the Germans and used their measurements. That's why a Jerrycan holds roughly 4 1/2 Gallons (which is a very odd capacity). The Germans designed them to hold 20 Litres.

Edited by antarmike

I believe the real world doesn't use centimetres because on a drawing, there isn't enough difference in size between centimetres and inches, so the two could be confused. ie a handrail written 'diameter 2' is most likely to be 2 inches or 'diameter 50' is 50mm. If centimetres were used, a dimension of 2 on a drawing could be mistaken as centimetres or inches.

In any case, we're living in England, so use real measuments Jack, Feet, Inches, Pounds & Ounces, non of this mickey mouse metric crap!!!

Steve

I believe the real world doesn't use centimetres because on a drawing, there isn't enough difference in size between centimetres and inches, so the two could be confused. ie a handrail written 'diameter 2' is most likely to be 2 inches or 'diameter 50' is 50mm. If centimetres were used, a dimension of 2 on a drawing could be mistaken as centimetres or inches.

In any case, we're living in England, so use real measuments Jack, Feet, Inches, Pounds & Ounces, non of this mickey mouse metric crap!!!

Steve

But even in countries where inches never appear on engineering drawings, the dimensions will be in millimeters or meters. Engineering does not use centimetres simply because it is not a preferred unit in the metric system. For small parts the centimetre does not offer the precision needed for manufacture without most dimensions containing decimals (and decimal points are easily missed when drawings are faxed or copied.) For larger structures (bridges, ships and the like) metres is a convenient unit to use. The centimetre is redundant and its use should be dropped.

Edited by antarmike

Blimey - how the hell did we get some much information out of a small question!

Mike you have every right to be a grumpy old man but I would like the definition of old - are we talking New Old Stock or just old :coffee:

Tim you were right and it was a jerrycan! :sweat:

British, American or German? Then we can determine whether the unit of measurement was correct.

Tim (too)

Oh god I was going to say the clue was in the word 'jerry'can but reckon it may go off again so yes this is in fact a German fuel container/receptacle......