wing boxes

chevpol

Hi all,

just thought I would share my first purchase for my landrover with you all, a pair of wingboxes, however, on looking at the boxes sold by C&S Tat, these are different, am I right in thinking that they are Larkspur not Clansman?

All the best

Mark :cool:

2008_08190001.jpg

They are certainly HF boxes, almost certainly C13 boxes (I couldn't tell you whether C11/R210 used a different antenna base). The antenna mount is earthed by an extrenal earthing strip across the insulated antenna base. VHF antennae do not carry this earthing strip as the rods are already provide close to 1/4 wavelength.

Earthing the antenna in this way improves the transmission performance in the HF range.

That said, apart from the earthing strip, AFAIK there is no difference between HF and VHF Larkspur antenna bases.

Edited by AlienFTM
extra paragraph.

Hi Alien,

I thought the ATU for HF was mounted within the vehicle and only the antenna was outside,with the boxes being for the VHF ATU's only?

Matt.

Fair point. Now you mention it, the C13 did tend to connect to the antenna base adjacent to the radio table on the side of the vehicle. The cable between ATU and antenna base does radiate and ought to be as short as possible.

Makes me wonder if this box is a hybrid, with somebody attaching any old antenna base to the box. On the other hand, it's been many, many years. Either way, there is a long connector between sets and wing-mounted boxes. These are coax-connected rather than single-core-connected.

But yes, my memory tells me the HF set always connected to the side antenna. Strange.

Here is a picture of me and my FFR landrover whilst I drove the Regt 2i/c in Command Troop 15/19H in the early 1980's.AFAIR the comms set up was C13/C42, with the antenna for the C13 being on the left wing.

Barry

IMG.jpg

Edited by Bazz
spelling

• 1 month later...

The boxes on the Rover are both for VHF sets. If a C13 is fitted then the antenna will be on a stalk bracketed to the side.

The whole point of the box is to contain one of the VHF tuning units - ATU No.6 for C42, ATU No.8 for B47, ATU No.9 for C45, ATU No.10 for B48.

These units are the square boxes with a meter and tuning knob on the front.

The C13 uses an ATU No. 11 which is the cylindrical one that us usually fitted on top of the set top tray.

The pictures of the two wing boxes show them fitted with the correct antenna base No.28. These have the braid earth strap fitted up the side of the "insulator" to electrically extend the mass of the vehicle body up to the base of the rod. In fact the main rubber body isn't an insulator at all (it's got carbon in the rubber), it's there to provide flexibility for the 8-foot rod element; the insulator is the plastic part at the top.

HF sets (C13, C11 etc) use the antenna base No. 31 which is the more bulbous shaped one that was carried through to Clansman. This different style was chosen because HF sets produce higher voltages when operating into rod antennas because the rod is very short compared to the operating wavelength.

The No.28 base was abandoned for Clansman and the No.31 used for everything. This was because the Clansman elements are shorter than Larkspur ones and the flexibility was obtained by making the top sections out of fiberglass.

Andy