Maisy Battery - Normandy

Jack

Hi all,

It all sounds like bit of a disney story, man finds treasure map, unearths massive place buried underneath the ground for 65 years. Truly amazing, why couldn't I have bought that map from that car boot sale. I heard that all the German kit left in there was basically in pristine condition. The damp, musty air just must have preserved everyting somehow. But wouldn't that just make your day if you find a humungous German bunker in excellent condition which had been buried for 60 years. I think the guy is opening it as a tourist attraction so i'll have to go and see it when it opens.

Thanks, Mick.

I have seen numerous mentions of the Maisy battery in many books but

had always assumed that it had been destroyed, will definitely pay a visit when next in Normandy.

As regards Pointe du Hoc there apparently were guns but they were not emplaced, some Rangers found the guns hidden in a field and lacking explosive used grenades to put the guns out of action. There are pics of the field and the lane leading to it in one of my books and also an explanation that the guns were hidden to avoid the heavy bombing of the battery prior to D-Day, the Germans believed that they would have sufficient warning of invasion to emplace the guns.

They did have poles as dummy guns but if the battery was only intended to be a dummy they would not have wasted all the effort and materials

to build such a massive strongpoint, as anyone who has visited can confirm, it is an awesome place.

Cheers

Degsy

Hi mate.

Aarrhh...........have been self demoted from events organiser :cry: :cry: due to the business commitments :twisted: but the good news is that I have be promoted to Dorset MVT web designer 8)

The diary is filling up and once Rita has confirmed everything then I will post them in the events section.......actually, I could put some dates up now.

Are you up for some then?

Always, but have been "asked" to put in some "guest apperances" with my other WW2 interests, and need to juggle them all together. Quite a few dates are now fixed, and for me its rather a case of working round them.

Dorset Webby eh? Sounds good. Who's taken on the event role then? and before you ask, NO.....I'm not a local.

Always, but have been "asked" to put in some "guest apperances" with my other WW2 interests, and need to juggle them all together. Quite a few dates are now fixed, and for me its rather a case of working round them.

Dorset Webby eh? Sounds good. Who's taken on the event role then? and before you ask, NO.....I'm not a local.

No problems,

18-20th August Purbeck vintage vehicle rally.

Was a good MV turn out last year......but Kevin tells me everyone has to bring a bike :shock: something to do with a pubs, push bikes and Arenham :shock:

Will have a list next week 8)