Military Meetings, staying overnight...

Sisu

Hi Guys,

just a question - I missed this years War & Peace show, but next summer I'll definately be there with my Sisu truck+trailer+assault boat - naturally I want to bring all gear with me, so how do I reserve enough space for my tent, stuff etc.? I will have all Finnish gear, so I would like to create a "Finnish Camp". The truck itself is around 13-14 meters long with the trailer, plus a SA-20 tent (for 20 persons) 5x5m ground area, then the boat (3x7m area) and all almost all covered with webbing around 2-3 meter high + some radio gear (one radio mast 10m high). The Finnish Army camo-colouring is bit different from other countries, and I want to have a Finnish Military Divers -theme. Does this sound impossible (crazy it sure is)? ...or shall I just join some other camp (like British?), but then for sure I¨ll break their theme!

So, how do you reserve such space, does it cost some extra? Naturally I'll stay overnight and therefore its more convenient to have a real camp. Never was in such meeting before but have to start preparing now...

Cedric

Edited by Sisu

Ok, thanks for the info. Hopefully I won't be put next to German WWII re-enactors ;) I've been on Switzerland on a military vehicle meeting (driving friends Range Rover 6x4, not mine) and as everyone already spoke German it was wierd listening WWII music in German and seeing all those German re-enactors in WWII uniforms. Something is not right about it, can't really explain...

Guess the smallest re-enactors camp is the Swedish one ;)

Hi Guys,

just a question - I missed this years War & Peace show, but next summer I'll definately be there with my Sisu truck+trailer+assault boat - naturally I want to bring all gear with me, so how do I reserve enough space for my tent, stuff etc.? I will have all Finnish gear, so I would like to create a "Finnish Camp". The truck itself is around 13-14 meters long with the trailer, plus a SA-20 tent (for 20 persons) 5x5m ground area, then the boat (3x7m area) and all almost all covered with webbing around 2-3 meter high + some radio gear (one radio mast 10m high). The Finnish Army camo-colouring is bit different from other countries, and I want to have a Finnish Military Divers -theme. Does this sound impossible (crazy it sure is)? ...or shall I just join some other camp (like British?), but then for sure I¨ll break their theme!

So, how do you reserve such space, does it cost some extra? Naturally I'll stay overnight and therefore its more convenient to have a real camp. Never was in such meeting before but have to start preparing now...

Cedric

Hi,

it's highly unlikely that you will be given so much space in living history if it's just yourself displaying, that area has it's regulars & space is reserved for the bigger groups first & then the regular smaller groups, last year there was not enough space & the smller groups had their areas cut down in size...

Also if you do get into Living History you have to be set up by the Wednesday & commit to stay until 6pm on the Sunday, also your pitch must be manned at all times between 10am & 5pm on show days.. & you must have Public Liabilty Insurance in the name of your group... MV insurance alone is no good for the living history area..

What usualy happens at W&P is that you turn up & find yourself a pitch & set up.... its first come, first served.. you can arrive on the Friday before the show starts so that gives you 6 days to set up..

Cedric, it would be great to see a Finnish camp at Beltring! Now, where can we get a PASI as well...? :)

Unfortunately I don't think I have kept any of my ex-Finnish Army stuff. :(

Looks like I will be at beltring with a couple of Pink Panthers in 2009, but probably either with or next to the EMLRA area, and with a definite SAS/Special Ops theme. We could always have a boat race in the river, Finnish assault boat against SBS Klepper kayak... :)

Julf

Many thanks for your answers. I thought everyone wants to have their camp around their vehicles! I may need the extra six days to set up my camp, but then it will be so well camouflaged that you won't find me - maybe I find it hard to find myself from there;) I'm not the type who wants to show up in the uniform, but I'd like to have my tent, truck, trailer, boat and everything there - I have a theme for my hobby and would be great to have everything included for show. Too bad everything I own is big and needs space! Actually I'm also not the show-type, but this is bit different as I should have finished my projects then, so its like a target date. Where else you can have a full military camp around you? (Except in the Army of course!)

Marty, I'm not yet done with all my projects - the trucks I have shown here (actually the Sisu's are going ahead quite well at the moment), but the boat & PTO trailer are still in Finland and I'm actually trying to find correct engines for the boat first. It did around 40 knots with a 60bhp engine (well, it says that in the registration papers - but never tested), but because Finnish law allows almost any modification I'm either putting a 1 x 150bhp engine or 2 x 50bhp 4-strokes. Naturally the boat is still in Finnish boat register, actually having a really cool reg. no. (in my opinion) "U-44429" (Das U-boot, LOL). The boat will also get some IR-lightning etc. stuff - but I have no pics for you at the moment - I'm sorry about that! Lot depends when I find the engines, then I can fin(n)ish the boat (its a fast project) and take some photos for you. Anyway it should look quite good once its finished!

Certainly I do have a "shopping list" for other stuff as well, one you know - the BV206 - but also I'm looking for Uisko-class Finnish Army boat, usually 10m long with 2 x 175bhp engines, this would be perfect for sea use and politically incorrect in the high class "rich dude" harbour areas (I just show them my arse, LOL!). Its also an excellent diving boat.

Julf, you seem to have interest in Finnish Army - please tell me more?! Great to hear you also have some kind of theme (sounds great, SAS/SBS!), definately we should have a small boat race. I'm a good loser, but unbearable if I win, LOL! Too bad Pasi's are not available for private use - if ever, Finnish Army sold the old ones to Estonian Army - maybe they are available again from Estonia in 25 years time...

Hi Marty, yes - almost. The problem with Uisko-class is there are actually several different boat models that fit the criteria. The one I want is the open version. The slightly bigger models you are showing are rarely available and very expensive. But I would take one if I would have a job that pays me better! Maybe I move to Norway and start an oil company?!

So, here a small picture of what I want: http://users.kymp.net/veleiro/img/_gvene.jpg

...and usually they look bit like this when bought from auction: http://kuvat.ktweb.fi/jukka/misc/kalkku/0507/uisko1.jpg

There are different variations from even this open boat model, also a model with rear cabin is available, but as I told I want open boat with central (open) "cabin". Bit hard to explain, also there are different material options, but I only will accept a model made from aluminium. All models have a very good payload rating.

Julf, you seem to have interest in Finnish Army - please tell me more?!

Well, mostly only from having done my national service in Dragsvik back in... Must be

1985-86 or something...

Too bad Pasi's are not available for private use

Indeed - but it would be a bit hard to park here in the centre of Amsterdam too :)

Julf