Driver Competancy Certificate

We regularly get the VOSA newsletter in the office and we recently read a small piece on the introduction of a lorry drivers competancy certificate , although brief , we concluded from the info that as we use a lorry in the course of our work but do not drive all day every day we would not be required to get the qualification .

Yesterday we had a mailshot from Mercedes Truck who supplied our lorry , and in that , mention was made of the new scheme and a statement that after 2014 , anybody driving a commercial vehicle over 3500kg without a certificate would be breaking the law and went on to detail some of the training shemes proposed . I know there are several professional drivers who are members of the forum and will be aware of the new regs but there will be many who are not . Not had time to look into it any further as yet . Don't know about exemptions for older vehicles or whatever . Anybody know more and like to share ?

Stand down chaps.....having trawled through various Gov sites I've just found this on the Transport office site - exemptions -

Drivers of vehicles used for non-commercial carriage of passengers or goods, for personal use .

Undergoing road tests for technical development , repair or maintenance purposes , or of new or rebuilt vehicles which have not yet been put into service .

Used in the course of driving lessons for the purpose of enabling that person to obtain a driving licence or a driver CPC .

Carrying material or equipment to be used by that person in the course of his or her work , provided that driving that vehicle does not constitute the drivers principal activity .

With a maximum authorised speed not exceeding 45km/h

Used by or under the control of , the armed forces , civil defence , the fire service and forces responsible for maintaining public order .

Used in states of emergency or assigned to rescue missions .

The Driver Certificate of Professional Competency (CPC ) the new tax on holders of vocational licences.

From 2014 you have to take 35 hours of training every 5 years, this can be broken down into 5 annual sessions of 7 hours if you prefer. At the minute there isn't any exact prices for this training but it's rumoured to be around £170-£200 per 7 hours.

Apparently to gain your CPC you have to find a seat on a course, pay for the seat and sit on it! There is no test, if you sit the course, you pass. So yes, it is just another TAX by another name.

There is no sense to the CPC, the "teacher" doesn't need to hold a CPC, you can take a bus drivers course and drive a lorry and vice-a-versa. There will be no training on safe trailer coupling ( which an artic driver does everyday) but they might train you how to tilt a cab ! Can you imagine what some of these professional drivers of 30 years think to having to take training from some little squit who's never sat in a lorry!?

Regards

Richard

unfortunatly ive just been looking at this and for psv holders it started yesterday

im now contacting the various firms i work for and see which one will pay for the card and the course otherwise yet another bill to pay out

fair enougth if driving in england it shouldnt be too bad but the continant the police over there like to pick faults just to put a fine on you straight away

a couple of years ago i remember a driver was stopped and he didnt have his licence on him just his passport and ended up with a fine and i was sent out to take over the tour as he was not allowed to drive, luckally it was only at reims not further down

Fortunatley, or not, my company will pay for the CPC. To call it a Certificate of Proffesional compentence is an insult. The REAL CPC consits of Five, hour and a half exams, and is required to either hold personnaly or employee someone with to run a company. The so called driver's CPC is a waste of space. An experienced driver who hasn't wasted the time can't drive, some oik who just passed thier test can! Absolutley pointless!

We all have to sit around for 48 hours in the UK. No driving test or coaching required, no testing or any exam. Just need to order a good long book. If it was something like a day a year out with an examiner, just to brush up and make sure no bad habits developing, I'd see a point to it.

What is needed is all drivers in Europe to say we wont drive anymore then and see how long it takes for the place to fall apart ! Why should legal drivers need retesting ? Just encourages more illegal cowboys in my opinion ! It seems the more hoops we jump through the more they put in front of us ! :argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh: