What makes an MV's Identity?

andreadavide

Question

I have a slight philosophical problem.

Here in The Nanny Bananian Republic Of Italy, to re-register a vehicle is nearly impossible.

I have a couple of good ex-mil Fiat AR59 whose history is known but are unregistered, while I have a third one of unknown origin but registered and MOT-ed.

I'd like to restore the Medical Corps one (after all I am a reserve medical officer and I would find funny to wear my ranks, even if with an older uniform) and use it in shows, but it's an impossible task to register it.

Would it be an unforgivable sin to perform a chassis swap and keep all the historical ex-mil one bar the chassis, coming from the registered foundling? Here infact the car's paperwork is connected to the chassis number and, from a legal point of view, the chassis "IS" the car.

I'd like to know your opinion because I wouldn't like to have then a car considered a "Walt", after all the chassises (is this the correct plural?) are the same and interchangeable.

Andrea

6 answers to this question

Oooh - thats a good one.....

I thought the identity of a vehicle was tied to the chassis number as you say. Thus swapping the bodies around would negate the history at that point. I'm assuming the registered one is something like a GS body as opposed to the unregistered ambulance??

That said a lot of Landies over here seem to start life as GS bodies then later on become FFR's or even assault/LRRP vehicles without adverse comment!!

Actually I wouldn't make a completely new "fantasy vehicle" but I'd just give the "legal" *wink* *wink* identity to a legitimate one.

I'd keep the numbered part of the unregistrable chassis as a proof...

The bodies aren't so different, they are GS (equivalent) ones, just the medical corps is closer to a civilian version than the other one, since it was used for support to civil defense, hence 12V, civilian lights and so on.

Andrea

Edited by andreadavide

What about when a vehicle is rechassised? It seems here as long as there no list of the vehicle being stolen and in other bother, and if requested you have a recognised person/group examine it then things are resonably straight forward. The British attitude seems to be if we have someone's name to tax the guts out, fine.

Andrea,

If I've understood you corectly,.......you say re-registering a vehicle in Italy, is near impossible,.........but surely, the vehicles you have, have NEVER been registered.

I'm assuming out there you do not have age related number plates, as here,........so would it not be possible to first time register them. ??

Or is that not possible, also ??

The other way of (maybe) doing it, is getting them registered abroad,......you say you know their history, ...hopfully you've got solid proof, in written/photographic form, to help;..........I know MVT do same in this country, ...........Just a thought. :)

Good luck,..........and post a pic, please.

Andy

Some states have retrospective legislation and trying to register a vehicle privately becomes a single vehicle type-approval nightmare. Even the UK no longer accepts a change of chassis or even a motorcycle frame with retention of the registration unless the replacement is a new spare part.

My view is that a military rebuild would have involved parts swapping and if the vehicle in question is not unique then there is probably little harm in being economical with the truth. I don't think that any of us would say that the Great War Dennis rebuild on the forum will be any less worthy because not all the components left the factory together.