Cleaning & Painting my jeep Engine Bay

Jessie The Jeep

Just thought I'd share a few pictures of my Jeep engine bay, and its clean up. When I first purchased the jeep, in April 2005, it had been in long term storage. EVERYTHING was coated in a sticky wax-coated cloth to keep the moisture out.

These first two pictures show the engine bay as it was when I bought it.... everything coated in overspray, not the actual components, but the cloth that coated them.

774070.jpg774071.jpg

This was really horrible to remove, peeling by hand and rubbing with a petrol rag to remove the sticky gunge. The pictures below show some of the cloth on the battery lead, and then the engine bay after it had all been washed & scrubbed with petrol.

774098.jpg774072.jpg

More shortly...........

Steve

While the petrol rag treatment was a start, there was still a long way to go, which ended up waiting until the season finished in December. With all the usual interruptions, further work didn't start until early January '06.

Batteries came out and so did the rotary wire brush and power drill!! There were a few signs of rust on the battery trays, but little anywhere else. While the batteries were out, the wing and trays were repainted, and look much better for it.

774080.jpg774081.jpg

The red batteries were also painted black as the red plastic casings stood out far too much against the green interior. All the work is being carried out inside my cramped double garage since it is very cold and damp outside. A floor above my trailer restricts the space somewhat and the jeep only just fits in the garage with the hood open!

774082.jpg774094.jpg

cont..........

Steve

Bearing in mind that the NE MVT Season was starting on 4th February at an event in Hartlepool, this wasn't going to be a major strip down. I just wanted to deal with the parts that could easily and quickly be removed and replaced. Further work will hopefully begin when the warmer weather arrives and I can work outside giving me more space.

Working my way across the engine bay, the radiator and rear face of the fan were cleaned up and painted. The oil filter will probably be removed and painted after I get a new oil filter at Stonleigh.

774106.jpg774108.jpg

Across to the left side now, and the air filter was removed, and even more wax-cloth removed! It was cleaned up and repainted.

774073.jpg774074.jpg

774075.jpg774086.jpg

The wing and filter mounting brackets were also cleaned up and painted.

774088.jpg774090.jpg

The light bowls were also stripped down, rust cleaned out of all the small lips and fixings, and they were painted too.

774096.jpg

This is about as far as I've got. The air filter is ready to go back on the vehicle ready to go out and brave the cold on the Hartlepool coast. Further progress when Spring has sprung!

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

Have been doing a little more cleaning & painting recently. I just did an oil change and took the opportunity to remove and repaint the housing while it was empty.

enginebay3.JPGoilchange5.JPG

oilchange11.JPGoilchange12.JPG

While I was working, I found the original Willys engine block number, MB 465 640, which as I mentioned by 'CRIPP' in another thread, places it Mid September '44. It also has a casting date of 8-18, presumably also '44.

oilchange1.JPG

Steve