BC-728 in the GMC

Sgtfenne

I got a BC-728 Receiver for in my CCKW 352.

Can anyone tell me how the mounting (FT-338) looks like,

and if or where I can get this mounting??

This was not with the receiver when I bought it.

:roll:

Hi Sgt,

Maybe that I have one of these still, will have to check. If so, it has some history. Before D-day, the American air force had P47 Thunderbolts based near here in South Kent and after the initial invasion they moved out to new landing strips in France. For some reason, a lot of kit was buried on the site and a local man had been metal detecting and found a number of these mountings stacked neatly but buried. Some still had readable lettering. I sent one to a mv collector in California as he was fitting one of these sets to his Dodge. The rest have all gone now, but I think one remains, certainly in good order and may have traces of olive drab still on it. The sets were apparantly to warn of enemy aircraft approaching and were fitted to all vehicles on the airfield. As to why they were removed, who knows?

Richard

Thanks for the info. :D

I'll ask Joel.

I didn't know they where also used by the Air Force. The only thing I know is that these receivers where used in Arillery positions.

The gunners received their coordinates on the BC-728 from HQ.

They where also used as warning recievers in GMC which transported German POW's. There is a picture of a GMC in the book Emile Becker.

Thanks for the info. :D

I'll ask Joel.

I didn't know they where also used by the Air Force. The only thing I know is that these receivers where used in Arillery positions.

The gunners received their coordinates on the BC-728 from HQ.

They where also used as warning recievers in GMC which transported German POW's. There is a picture of a GMC in the book Emile Becker.

They may well have been army anti-aircraft units at the airfield, we will never know that. My information on these sets was that they were to pass warning of enemy aircraft approaching, so USAAF refuellers, etc, may well have been equipped.

Richard