Renault tank transporter

Great War truck

I dont know if you are familiar with the superb website pre war car.com which can be found at

http://www.prewarcar.com/

Anyway, if you scroll down you will see a number of photos of an early unidentified Renault truck:

Runflat has already identified it as a Renault tank transporter from the 1920's and which would have looked like this:

http://www.activeboard.com/download.spark?ID=45840&forumID=63528&abKey=ba2c07e0b5750d8a6745d6e76b2e283f

It is a monstrous great big thing and a real rarity which deserves a good home.

Tim (too)

Edited by Great War truck

Tim,

A rare find. Even more interesting is the owner, Stijnus. He took part in the re-enactment of the 1907 Peking-Paris Car Race, in 2005. The event was part organised by a friend of mine, who also took part. Stijnus drove his Spyker in the event.

Now that reduction hub on the Renault looks familiar. I have come across a similar truck in England, it was unrestored and well sheeted down, but I have a feeling it might have been four wheel drive with those hubs front and back. Did Renault make a 4wd gun tractor like this?

Reduction hub? Can you explain, I take it its to do with reducing gearing. How do the mechanics work?

Rick,

Many heavy trucks, tractors, military vehicles, etc. use them. A Ferret for instance. High input speed reduced to low output speed for increase in torque. Laid out in different ways, a Ferret is different to a Fox set up. The simplest is the half shaft on an axle has a sun gearwheel attached, this engages in a set of planet wheels, which transfer the drive to a gear ring within the hub, thus driving it. Easy is'nt it? :-D

Tim,

Now that reduction hub on the Renault looks familiar. I have come across a similar truck in England, it was unrestored and well sheeted down, but I have a feeling it might have been four wheel drive with those hubs front and back. Did Renault make a 4wd gun tractor like this?

Renault did do a 4 wheel drive gun tractor but the hubs looked quite different. I am not aware of any being in the UK. There is a Latil TAR01 over here, but that also looks quite different. There was a large Renault truck from about 1920 in this country which has now been restored and which may have had those hubs on the rear. I cant find a picture of it at the moment. I have found a picture of an ex military Renault FU which is at the Berliet collection which does look remarkably similar to the fist one. In fact i would say that it is the same truck.

RenaultFU.jpg

Tim (too)

• 5 weeks later...

Alan kindly pointed out to me, that as the owner now knows what it is (as we told him) he has put it up for sale. The asking price, well a bit on the steep side €15,000. One of the more expensive unrestored GWT's that i have seen come up for sale. Sadly i did not win the lottery on Friday, so i will have to give it a miss (but there is always next week).

Tim (too)

• 3 months later...

I like the butterfly heads on the setscrews holding the tyre on (surely not for speedy puncture repairs on solids!!!), so I presume there would have been a problem with keeping the steel tyre rims tight.....

They would have been pressed on with a pretty tight fit originally, so was this a problem caused by the tremendous torque coming out of those reduction hubs? :-D:-D

I like the butterfly heads on the setscrews holding the tyre on (surely not for speedy puncture repairs on solids!!!), so I presume there would have been a problem with keeping the steel tyre rims tight.....

They would have been pressed on with a pretty tight fit originally, so was this a problem caused by the tremendous torque coming out of those reduction hubs? :-D:-D

That is possible, but if so i have not come across that before. Could the butterfly nuts be used for securing chains to the rear tyres when required?

Tim (too)

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...