Tanks found in the Channel

PanzerJohn

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

:shocked:Gardner 5lw must of come out of a narrow boat.:( last time that thing was on here the Forun crashed and Jack blamed me at Beltring.

Edited by catweazle (Banned Member)

Certainly an interesting discovery. As I mentioned on the LRDG wrecks thread it's the conservation that would be the major part of any effort to recover these. Having been in salt water for this long they will be relatively stable in their present enviroment but as soon as they leave the water and hit air they will start to corrode very quickly. Conservation would take months or even years and would probably require submerging them in a large tank. Another factor here is did the crews get out? I assume they did/were not in the vehicles at the time?.

What happened to the Sherman DD tank that was recovered and in a French museum?

I am no expert in conservation but I am learning a lot from the P-38 project as these are all problems we will have to overcome prior to any recovery work.

Matt.

Conservation would take months or even years and would probably require submerging them in a large tank.

You may need something bigger than that: according to the Daily Mail, these are massive tanks. Even if they are smaller than a Sherman and only maybe half the size of a Tiger 1.

There is nothing to compare with the misuse by the media of superlatives to big-up (if you'll pardon the pun) a story.

Anyone know how much clobber was lost at sea during the war? I've seen figures in the past somewhere for total shipping weight losses, but that includes the ships and I've never seen a breakdown of what went down. Any figures for number of vehicles for example? Must have been countless liberty ship loads of trucks, armour etc sunk in N.Atlantic.

Some fascinating finds to be had for divers, perhaps it'd be nice to leave them down there for them to enjoy. When you think about it, these two tanks are but a drop in the ocean compared to all the gear lost (well ok, two drops....)

Anyone know how much clobber was lost at sea during the war? I've seen figures in the past somewhere for total shipping weight losses, but that includes the ships and I've never seen a breakdown of what went down. Any figures for number of vehicles for example? Must have been countless liberty ship loads of trucks, armour etc sunk in N.Atlantic.

Some fascinating finds to be had for divers, perhaps it'd be nice to leave them down there for them to enjoy. When you think about it, these two tanks are but a drop in the ocean compared to all the gear lost (well ok, two drops....)

There's an advert for Smirnoff which intrigues me, giving their concept of all the stuff dumped in the oceans over the aeons. It would be a good advert if I drank, cos I can remember what it advertises.

There's an advert for Smirnoff which intrigues me, giving their concept of all the stuff dumped in the oceans over the aeons. It would be a good advert if I drank, cos I can remember what it advertises.

:confused::???

Don't know the advert.