It's a pity they don't have any money, they scrapped the Ferret Scout Car Recovery Conversion a couple of yeas ago because it was sitting outside rotting & didn't have any dosh to throw at it, it was probably the only one in existence :argh: I've spent quite a bit of time down there in the archives searching & copying manuals...

Having been REME (TA) for 16 years (but now finished), I tried to volunteer to help out at the Bordon shed, as it's the kind of thing that floats my boat, and I kind of ok with. Reply is not a chance!!

All down to health and safety, and insurance. There is also no funding for it by all reports, with everything begged, borrowed etc. If the staff want to take a vehicle to a show, I 've been told they have to pay for the fuel?? What is the state of the armed forces when the largest Corps in the British Army runs its Museum like this?

Jules

There is also no funding for it by all reports, with everything begged, borrowed etc. If the staff want to take a vehicle to a show, I 've been told they have to pay for the fuel?? What is the state of the armed forces when the largest Corps in the British Army runs its Museum like this?

Jules,

Before the new REME technology museum was built at Arborfield, all the vehicles were kept at Bordon, which was not freely accessable to visitors. A good few of those vehicles would go out to quite a number of shows around the South, on occasions, I have taken some, Explorer and Austin K6, from memory. The MVT Southsea show usually saw a very large display, from Sherman BARV, Conqueror ARV, Pioneer, Explorer, Leyland Heavy, Ward La France, Antar, AEC Medium, Bedford QL workshop, International halftrack recovery, Austin K6 gantry, etc. The turnout for Beltring used to be large as well. I understand that once the new Museum was opened, some of these vehicles were then displayed so no reason to take them out anymore, as there was now public access. Funding is always a major problem and as with other regimental museums, there is a lot of beg, borrow and favours, I know, having done restoration work while working in the "system", so to speak.

I've been in the shed at Bordon many times whilst on various courses at Prince Phillips Barracks (a good place to spend lunchtime). There are so many vehicles sitting decaying there it's sad to see. The armoured vehicles apparently have no chance of any attention, owing to lack of spares, cost of running etc.

I have no idea what a proper solution would be to the current state of affairs? Unfortunately people still bequest vehicles to the Museum with the idea that it is a good home for them? I'm surprised Lord Atlee hasn't had more influence on what happens, as he clearly has more than a passing interest in both the REME and their vehicles.

I've never been to Arborfield, although I've seen photos of the Museum there. As with so many Museums it appears to be only static displays, which in many ways seems wrong when vehicles are involved. Hence the Bordon side was/is good as they do occasionally run the vehicles out for a wider audience to see. Indeed their displays at W & P in the past were great, with some excellent examples of classic recovery trucks and others.

I guess the budget was blown building the static end, job done etc.....

Jules

wot no pics of the best 2 lorrys there the QL workshop and K6 gantry

I did try but couldnt get a good photo as there were a couple of guys changing light bulbs in a cherry picker. You can see then in the back ground of one of the pic's. :rofl:Also seemed a shame the fv434 is almost completely hidden under cam net.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
Having been REME (TA) for 16 years (but now finished), I tried to volunteer to help out at the Bordon shed, as it's the kind of thing that floats my boat, and I kind of ok with. Reply is not a chance!!

All down to health and safety, and insurance. There is also no funding for it by all reports, with everything begged, borrowed etc. If the staff want to take a vehicle to a show, I 've been told they have to pay for the fuel?? What is the state of the armed forces when the largest Corps in the British Army runs its Museum like this?

Jules

Its pritty dismal when a country cant support its own history.I thought the objective was to educate the young ,show them how and why ,so they never do it again.If we deny them that,we let them down.Why has history in this country become so non pc?

I'm afraid in the UK it's not just museums like the REME collection and the individual Regimental museums which are run on a tight budget,the RAF Museum and Imperial War Museum are too. One answer is for us MV collectors/enthusiasts to support the museums whenever we can.

On other forums I have seen folks who should know better tearing into museums such as the RAM and IWM for their conservation,collecting or display policies without thinking for a moment about the sheer scale of running a major museum. A prime example being the Halifax at RAFM Hendon which is conserved and displayed in "as recovered" condition. The RAFM get a lot of flack for not restoring the Halifax to complete static display(or some have even suggested flying) condition,they seem to miss the point that the RAFM are preserving an original aircraft which actually flew on operations,restoring it would turn it into another replica/bitsa.

I agree with ABN that it is often left to individual private collectors to preserve our history,but there is only so much a private collector can take on. It's a shame that central Government are un-willing to put more money into the national museums but I don't see that situation changing anytime soon.

Matt.

I did try but couldnt get a good photo as there were a couple of guys changing light bulbs in a cherry picker. You can see then in the back ground of one of the pic's. :rofl:Also seemed a shame the fv434 is almost completely hidden under cam net.

no worries pop, richards come through with some nice ones

thank you richard, don t suppose you have come across a pic of the k6 trailer yet :whistle:

thank you both for pics

graham

True for the long haul and for the most educationial use and public exposure you need a Foundation or Trust along with Government help .

On the private side I was thinking of the Littlefield's and Wheatcroft collection's those Historic Military vehicles would never have been saved or rebuilt to such exacting standards with a large Museum ,the politics of groups and people within and outside keep things from happening and the mindset is dont take risks or expose the collection to bad press.

I believe the Ferret Recovery version which Lee refers to in his post was a reproduction. The original which was a field improvisation did not survive into preservation.

Does anyone know what the latest is on the future of both Aborfield and Bordon. Both were originally listed for disposal which could presumably affect the Museum in its curent location.

• 1 month later...

There is talk of the REME museum re locating to Wales in the future but its still talk, in my opinion it should try to remain where it is think about it its located between the M3 and M4 and only 15 mins from the M25 and in a large catchment area. Lack of funding has led to a lack of good publicity with which i am sure it would begin to thrive the tank museum is a good incentive to what can be achieved

Hanno,

I think from memory, this was brought back from Bosnia for the REME Museum and believe it to be at Arborfield......stand to be corrected.

(I see it has a Greek port on the shipping instructions )

you are right richard, i saw it when i was up there a couple of years ago looks like they have given it a coat of paint

regards