What is it

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Are they binoculars or range finder? Do they by any chance have any links to the Royal Naval divisions of the Great War? Look like they could be used in a trench.

Dont know was hopeing you would.:-D

I saw an identical set of these in an antique shop in Burford. I think it had a German makers name plate on it. I think they are designed for looking at things a long way away and on the other side of a particularly tall wall.

Tim (too)

I'd reckon they are a range finder. The manufacture is top quality so I'd think they might be a surveyors tool. Just look to good for war time use. Any idea of date? Possibly for checking the location of Trig points?

Germans have long favoured stereoscopic rangefinders. You frequently see Second World War pictures of observers with Y-shaped rangefinders. Have a look at the turret bulges on the front sides of Leopard 1: stereoscopic rengefinders.

Thats what has me thinking. The knurled knobs on the side do look similar to the convergence type range finder. A lot of kit like this is now reproduced, in beautiful quality. It appears to have bubble levels on it as well. Where did you see it catweazle?

Thats what has me thinking. The knurled knobs on the side do look similar to the convergence type range finder. A lot of kit like this is now reproduced, in beautiful quality. It appears to have bubble levels on it as well. Where did you see it catweazle?

It is in a shop in Portsmouth docks,but dont go there you will want everything.The shop was split between two companys and the right man was absent to ask.The lamp behind is a signal lamp ww1 i think.