Wheres the water coming from?

Dotty Dodge

Hi All

I seem To be getting water sitting around the top of the sparkplugs on my dodge it is stored in a metal barn that does not leak and theres as light weight tarp on it is well! I go and start her up every two week and take her for a little run just to keep her ship shape.

But the next time i go to take her out the water it there again after i removed it last time!

I cant see where its coming from? I have even watched it while it was running theres no water coming from any where!

Any Ideas? Could it be condensation? from the engine being hot and then been put in a cold barn?

Best Reagrds

Rowan

Hello Rowan,

would think it's condensation. It's the only problem with metal clad barns, they heat up and cool down much quicker than the thick metal bits of vehicles do. I've noticed it on the hubs of my Militant and barrel of the FH70 where they have been running with water despite everything else in the building being bone dry.

I know someone who has some immaculate vintage cars that they obviously keep garaged. Over winter they used to cover them with a soft sheet and then put a tarpaulin over that to keep them dry.

But they found that the cars would sweat, soaking the soft sheet which would then trap the water on the car. Now they leave the sheet's off all the time and the cars keep dryer.

Regards

Richard

Rowan,

I've got a 42 WC55 and I'm assuming yours is a similar engine. I had the same thing happen after I'd had occasion to install a new head gasket.

The water just appeared on top of one or two of the spark plug recesses closest to the radiator.

As you have done, I dried the water up thinking it was dripping in from some unknown place, but it re-appeared after a drive.

Found out it was leaking from the thermostat housing. The gasket there is a bit thin and fairly narrow and you need to ensure a water tight seal. Might even be worth re-facing the bottom of the housing as it is likely to be old and is subject to corrosion.

Jack

Hi Mazungumagic...i used to have a WC55 converted to a WC52 its chassis number was 81529098...the 97th one off the production line as production started at 81529001

Yes they would have the same T214 engine block....or Rowan check the water thru pipe in the engine and make sure thats not blocked forcing water out where it shouldnt.Does your WC51 run hot ?

Whats your chassis number buddy as there isnt many true 55s left

Regards

Lloyd

Hey Lloyd,

Regrettably mine too was converted to a WC 52 at some point probably around 50+ years before I got it, but I prefer to think of it as a 55. In the current climate I might be drawing unnecessary attention to myself and the ex military vehicle movement in general, if I contemplated re-equipping it with a 37mm - even if I could find one.

I'm in the US at the moment and won't be back in West Australia till mid March, so i can't post my chassis # till then.

My Dodge has a Plymouth motor (the engine # starts with 'P*') but it is the short motor and a clone of the T214.

I know of only three other WCs in Western Australia so they are a rarish beast here.

All the best

Jack

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jack

Well i took her out last week i have now spotted that she has a small leak/dripping form the water pump! so i bought a new one yesterday! well im changing the pump that im going to put a new thermostat gasket on and im going to put a new set of water hoses on !!

So i hope this will solve my problem!!

i will let you know how i get on :)

Best Regards

Rowan

• 1 month later...

Lloyd,

Back in Western Australia at last (44 hours from Washington DC to Perth in WA - incl 10 hours in LAX !).

In answer to your query about my chassis number, it is 81531286.

[imgDodgeWC_at_Kkatta2003LH.jpg://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c83/mazungumagic/DodgeWC_at_Kkatta2003LH.jpg[/img]]http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c83/mazungumagic/DodgeWC_at_Kkatta2003LH.jpg[/img]

Jack