Hello from the border!

Just thought I'd introduce myself.

I'm 22, currently live on the Powys / Shropshire / Herefordshire border.

I've been interested in military vehicles all my life & currently have a Series III FFR Land Rover which unfortunately I'm in the process of selling :-(. However my first love is my 1945 Willys MB which I've had since I was 15 and would probably be buried in if I could have my own way! :-D

p9030135anl8.jpg

I've restored it twice & when I say restored I mean restored. I wasn't happy with it first time round so after a few years I stripped it down and did it again! :-D

jeep9ou3.jpg

I've really joined this forum to get some advice on owning different military vehicles as I am hoping to move on to medium and heavy softskin & eventually (when the wallet allows) armour.

The big question I have is the legality of me (a post 97 licence holder) being able to drive something like a Daimler Ferret without being pulled over by plod and losing my licence. I know there are exemptions for pre 60 vehicles but as it is armoured and not a goods vehicle, like say a Bedford MJ is, then I don't know what it is classified as and whether I could drive it!? any help greatly appreciated :confused:

Thanks in advance, Nick

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
welcome aboard, your first duty is to aquire a tin of mansion wax furniture polish.... Futher instructions on your newbie club house duties will be forwarded.

ronuk

Welcome to the Friendly Forum , You surely have the skills to Enjoy the Hobby and all the things it can hand you , if you still have access to that garage with the grease pit you will many new friends that will be eager to visit with you to share a Cuppa . Enjoy the club house , step right up to the bar and have a fizzy drink .

Welcome to the Friendly Forum , You surely have the skills to Enjoy the Hobby and all the things it can hand you , if you still have access to that garage with the grease pit you will many new friends that will be eager to visit with you to share a Cuppa . Enjoy the club house , step right up to the bar and have a fizzy drink .

Thanks to everybody for the warm welcome. The barn is actually rented from a local farmer but it is currently full of my father's classic car projects! I keep telling him its the perfect place to keep a few pieces of military hardware but he doesn't seem too keen.

Although if anybody is in the Ludlow area and wants to use the pit, or the overhead winch then I'm sure we can sort something out. :D

Oh and mine's a coke, I'd have something stronger but I'm driving. :whistle:

Tea and biscuits are just as good. On HMVF we do a lot of biscuits. The site would be sponsored by Peak Frean's but they went west a long time ago. Mores the pity. They made the best custard creams.

Have fun and make good use of the old place. We have no bar on age, colour, creed, period, type of motor or anything else that matters. We don't do religion or politics and like it that way. This is the award-winning friendly forum.

Enjoy

MB

Hi Nick. With regards to being a post 97 licence holder, you may find you need the relevent licence upgrade/test to drive vehicles over 3.5 tonnes now. With regard to tracked armour, you'd only need an H licence (you should already have the provisional on yours), regardless of whether its a CVRT or a Chieftain!

And no spilling oil on the carpet. I just had it cleaned (again).

Hi Nick. With regards to being a post 97 licence holder, you may find you need the relevent licence upgrade/test to drive vehicles over 3.5 tonnes now. With regard to tracked armour, you'd only need an H licence (you should already have the provisional on yours), regardless of whether its a CVRT or a Chieftain!

And no spilling oil on the carpet. I just had it cleaned (again).

As somebody whose day job in the 1970s was to drive a Ferret (and they paid me to do it!) I have never cared about licensing issues. Although everyone who had not already had, received Ferret training before our UNFICYP tour in 76-77, I had already driven Ferrets quite legally on ops in NI courtesy of the Group B licence that came automatically (if you'll pardon the pun) from having passed my car test before enlisting.

However, istr reading on this forum (but I could be wrong ... I usually am) that since the licensing changes, a Mark 1 Ferret continues to fall within the Group B licence (or whatever an automatic car is nowadays) by virtue of not having a turrent and weighing less than a Mark 2, Mark 4 or Mark 5, whereas the latter all need some sort of extension.

Sorry I haven't replied for a few days but problems with my internet access have stopped my from getting online.

Thanks for all the help and for making me feel so welcome. I'm sure I will have more questions to ask in the near future.

Thanks, Nick