Humber Mk 4 AC hulls

Niels v

Hi

Does any know why there are, on some Humber hulls, a metal plate welded on each side, that runs form one end to the other?

Can any one help?

Hello Niels,

After seeing what you mean, I would say that it was welded on to protect the welded joint between upper and lower hull side plates. They may have proved vulnerable in service and that it was a modification. I have a feeling it could be a MkII or MkIII, that has been made into a MkIV, looking at the workshop manual, it shows the welded plates on there, but a stowage illustration for a MkII is without plates. Do you know if the hull without plates is earlier than the other? There is a hull number on a small plate welded on outside near the drivers left side visor.

Richard

Hi Richard

they are both made in 42.

The one, with out, has a chassi no. 63A1660 and the one with has chassi no. 63A3506

the one with out´s engine have been overhault in 44, could it then have been rebuild to a Mk 4, then?

Niels

Hi Richard

they are both made in 42.

The one, with out, has a chassi no. 63A1660 and the one with has chassi no. 63A3506

the one with out´s engine have been overhault in 44, could it then have been rebuild to a Mk 4, then?

Niels

Neils,

I think the Mk4 here, has 1942 on the hull and it has the plates welded same as yours. Do not have a note of the chassis number here.

Richard