Huey 509

H1HU

• 11 months later...

509 out and about this weekend at Lytham Hall. If you are in area by all means come for a nosey but can we make a polite request that you don't turn up in a green machine and expect to get in before the gates open at 12.30 for the public.

Due to safety etc we can only allow those in that are on our list which also means, apart from some of the ground crew, all vehicles will be Vietnam era. It's not often the Vietnam boys get the chance of an event that is their era.

It has been mentioned to other groups and they all respect the wishes of the organisers. So can we thank you in also in advance for your co-operation.

H1HU

When I was posted in Cyprus with HQ Britcon, UNFICYP at Blue Berret Camp (Nicosia International Airport) the Argentinians ran the Hele side of things. They had a Bell and a Huey. I was lucky enough to blag a few rides in the Huey riding in the side seat with doors open. We flew all over South Central Cyprus and it was a fantastic experience. The pilots were nuts and did their best to make us poop our pants, but that has the opposite effect on me and I loved it. The memories will stay forever.

Here are some pictures of the Huey and Bell, as well as me jumping out of the Islander 12,000ft over Dhekelia. Best time of my life....:yay:

img082.jpg

img085.jpg

img086.jpg

img087.jpg

img088.jpg

File0005.jpg

Interesting a Bell 212 (twin engined with the tail rotor on the opposite side to the Hueys and the pointy snout) and a Hughes OH6/McDonald Douglas 500. The 500 though is fitted with the 'low' skids associated with the early OH's and the later 'T' piece tail of the MD500. So when were those pictures taken?

H1HU

Interesting a Bell 212 (twin engined with the tail rotor on the opposite side to the Hueys and the pointy snout) and a Hughes OH6/McDonald Douglas 500. The 500 though is fitted with the 'low' skids associated with the early OH's and the later 'T' piece tail of the MD500. So when were those pictures taken?

H1HU

I took these in 1999 when I was posted in Cyprus. Argentine Air Force. Is the Bell 212 still a "Huey" but a later model? I didn't go in the OH6, but others did, and some of those should have taken a sick bag, LOL...

The 212 has has two engines and two rotors and is referred to as a Twin Huey. Thus a 412 has four rotors and two engines and is called a Griffin which is used by the RAF to train helicopter crews at Shawbury. So for those that like the Vietnam era machines then the 212's and 412's aren't really Hueys, they have to be single engined, twin rotored non pointy snout machines. Basically they are different/later models of the original.

Just as an aside the tail rotor was changed over to the other side to a 'Huey' to give it more tail rotor 'authority'/control and it became a puller rather than a pusher.

H1HU

Love the old Huey, We here in New Zealand are still flying 15 of the old girls with No 3 Squadron Based out of Ohakea. Due to be phased out and replaced in the next year by the NH-90. A bit like going from a Moris 1000 to a Ferari.

• 1 year later...
Do you guys fly along the golden mile in Blackpool I was up there the weekend and saw a huey flying about on saturday lovely sight and sound!

Hollywood

Yep he does , its a nice sight in summer just before the sun goes down over the beach , when all the tourists have gone home (go to st annes beach its nicer than blackpool , plus have a look at the mine in the sand )......