Anyone know this div sign?

Tony B

Question

The latest rescue, a SWB Series 2 FFR fitted with the 40 amp kit. Has sat in a field for abut 15 years, had to cut down a tree to get her out, it has grown behind the radiator grill and the rectifier. engine turns over but no attempt to start her yet. Can anyone tell me what the signs are? The div badge is a bayonet and key.

ffr div.JPG

ffr div 2.JPG

ffr1.JPG

11 answers to this question

The cross keys was originally supposed to be the Keys of St Peter to the pearly gates. It does look like this is 6th Infantary div. The Red over Blue is Artillery badge of service. So what was she used for? The markings appear original, most of the NATO has scabbed off leaving the basic bronze green. Gentle scratching shows only base under the tac signs. the electrical system is 40 amp, so equates to Larkspur.

The cross keys was originally supposed to be the Keys of St Peter to the pearly gates. It does look like this is 6th Infantary div. The Red over Blue is Artillery badge of service. So what was she used for? The markings appear original, most of the NATO has scabbed off leaving the basic bronze green. Gentle scratching shows only base under the tac signs. the electrical system is 40 amp, so equates to Larkspur.

Crossed keys also symbolise 1st SS Panzer Division, Leibstandarte SS Adolf Hitler, whose commander was Sepp Deitrich whose surname apparently translated as lockpick or something. Early in the war the symbol was a single key in a shield, which was changed later to feature two keys. (I think the oak leaves may have been added later too, to coincide with the general's oak leaves award to his Ritterkreuz. But I could be wrong. I really cannot be bothered to go and Google anything to support my case.)

Absolutely no relation to this pic though, obviously.

Well the 3rd reich did use a lot of captured equipment. maybe it was a stay behind group :shake: She will survive. The rear cross member is shot but the rest of the vehicle apart from 15 years of wildlife is intact. The biggest problem at the moment is getting the remains of the branch out from in front of the radiator.