Site update coming........

Jack

Ok, as promised here are some updates on what I have planned for HMVF..................

I have a website designer working on this and these guys aren't cheap so will be doing a bit at a time.

1. We will have a front page so when you click on to http://www.hmvf.co.uk you will go to the 'home' page where you will be able to navigate to the rest of the site.

2. The home page will feature a 'picture of the week' along the lines of Bills http://www.cckw.org and the picture will and be of anything MV related, it can be a picture of a show, your own vehicle, a museum, a battlefield, an airfield, for example, Degsy has been kind enough to send me a collection of pictures that he took at Normandy............

3. We will have a gallery so we can place all of your pictures in there and a place to show off what you have got and where you have been.

4.Reviews section, as we have already discussed this would be the place where reviews are posted of kit, visits, clothing, shows etc etc.

5.Shop..........a small one but a place where you can find all of the kit that you need to kit out your CMV!

6. That is it for now............but open to suggestions.

Sounds great! But you might not want to spent too much money on the webdesigners, all the things you mention are available for free in Content Management Systems like Joomla (http://www.joomla.com). All you need is a webserver which is PHP enabled and has MySQL. Since this forum runs PHPBB that should not be a problem.

It can save you a lot of money!

Edit: and you can intergrate it with PHPBB so you do not need to login twice.

Sounds great! But you might not want to spent too much money on the webdesigners, all the things you mention are available for free in Content Management Systems like Joomla (http://www.joomla.com). All you need is a webserver which is PHP enabled and has MySQL. Since this forum runs PHPBB that should not be a problem.

It can save you a lot of money!

Edit: and you can intergrate it with PHPBB so you do not need to login twice.

.................A? :?

Looking for a job MM? :D...................or is it something that I could do :?

Take a look here:

http://http:\www.touringandtenting.com

This is more or less what you are aiming for I think - and is run by a couple of very nice people on their own!!

if it is - you can drop an e-mail through to the site owners and I'm sure they'll be able to give you advice on what to do and where to go for tutorials etc.

Since you are able to install ad administer PHPBB you will be able to install and administer Joomla. I can help you if you want, I have a simple Joomla powered website (ww2battlefields.com) and have a lot of experience in building webpages.

http://mamboawards.com/component/option,com_mtree/Itemid,40/

Joomla and Mambo are practicly the same, Joomla is based on Mambo. The concencus is that Mambo will go commercial in the near future.

http://joomble.joompire.com/

There are other Content Management Systems but none as userfriendly as this and it has all the features you want in your site.

Darn, I sound like a commercial

Sounds great Jack but I'd rather you than me, I'm much more in tune with the world of the late Fred Dibnah than all this hi-tech stuff.

Regards

Degsy

Know what you mean, I am bit of a Jack Hargreaves man myself! :D

But I will have a look at all of the options and advice above 8)

He was a fantastic countryman and very knowledgeable one at that. His programmes were amazing and had me glued to the set every time he came on. His programme was called Out of Town and it was all about country life. It was first broadcasted in 1959 and was set to run for 6 months...............24 years later he retired. We owe him a lot. He had the foresight to record our old way of life on film and on paper as he lived through the time when our countryside went through a rapid change. A landscape and a way of life that had been the same for nearly a thousand years, transformed over night.

He had published two books, the first was Out of Town- A life Relived on Television and the second, The Old Country. Both books are very sad and both very powerful. I strongly recommend them to you, they will make you think and they will make appreciated your countryside and the country people with in it.

We are desperate for a programme like this now, it would have massive viewing figures, but the powers that be just won’t listen.

He lived in my Mothers village, about 6 miles from me and his ashes are scattered on Okeford hill, about two miles from me and I have here at home a Elm, cart wheel hub that he was turning on a lathe driven by the water wheel of my Uncles Water mill!

Best wishes.

Jack.

Take a look here:

http://www.touringandtenting.com

This is more or less what you are aiming for I think - and is run by a couple of very nice people on their own!!

if it is - you can drop an e-mail through to the site owners and I'm sure they'll be able to give you advice on what to do and where to go for tutorials etc.

Thanks Neil, that looks just the job and think that this may be the route I go down.........

Hi Jack

I certainly agree with you about the TV programme, trouble is the people

that had Jack's knowledge and experience are all dead.

Many years ago on TV a group of archaeologists etc were supposed to identify obscure items, my late father in law was in tears laughing at

their weird identification of a couple of items when in reality they were simply old agricultural items which had been used with horses.

I wonder how many things are in museums etc. which have been similarly

misidentified and "authenticated" by these " experts".

I spent many happy hours listening to some of these old countrymen

but sadly so much knowledge has died with them.

Regards

Degsy

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, the new site is getting nearer 8)

Mad Man is giving me the guidance and has already ran a mock site which is looking good and I hope to have it all squared away (sort of) in 2-3 weeks........work load permitting, can't wait 8)

Thanks for your help MadMan!

Cheers.

jack.

Jack Hargreaves,.......Out of Town,..............Now that talking QUALITY TV.

Fred Dibnah,-( may god rest his soul ), a real genuine,'spades a spade', sort of guy, very sadly missed......

I'd add to the two above, the origional One Man and His Dog,.not the sad travisty that it has now become.

Having read Jacks books,- the others that (I feel,) match his enthusiasum for nature, and have become to 'uncontrolable,- by the powers that dictate what is shown on tv,- are Phil Drabble and Robin Page.

I guess, living in the so-called "modern age", these sorts of programes are not "popular", - or as cheap to make as " celebraty big - get me out of" type 'life-style' shows;..............ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

I feel sorry for modern young people of today, -cripes, that makes me seem OLD, ....take them away from bright lights, 24 hour entertainment,-laid on entertainment, mind...they can't be expected to find it themselves, and junk food,...........and the majority of them wouldn't be able to handle it

Generalising I know,.................but, at times, it seems like the simple things people value, open spaces, woodland, room to breath, are just the sort of things those in "power", seem to be frightened of.

Phew................... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Rant Over........

Bring back the countryside to the TV.

(and I don't include the hours prog, on sunday.)

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

....yes I know, but I have been busy :twisted: but MadMan is going to install the new programe onto my server me so we can start to build the 'new look' site.

.........we are getting there 8) - didn't BR used to say that? :roll:

• 3 months later...
....yes I know, but I have been busy :twisted: but MadMan is going to install the new programe onto my server me so we can start to build the 'new look' site.

.........we are getting there 8) - didn't BR used to say that? :roll:

Doh......history repeating itselfs but we are getting there.

MadMan has been working hard behind the scenes for us all still is but we should be up and running in the new format in about 4 wks so if you do see any pages with 'error' on it then it is just us moving behind the scenes.

Best wishes.

Jack.