What camera

Jack

Hi chaps looking for some advice on cameras...........

I looking to buy a digital camera that isn't massive but fits into my pocket so I can take pictures of the resto of the GMC etc etc, it has to have a zoom on it and what size memory card should I get and it has to take pictures good enough to be published in magazines............

What is my best option?

Cheers.

Jack.

The whole area of Digi cams is a bit of a nightmare when you start looking. If you want a zoom, pick something with a partial Optical zoom; digital zooms just crop the picture and loose quality.

I prefer digi cams with separate AA dry cells to power them. If you are out and about, and it goes flat, you just pop in two new batteries. I friend has a cam with built in rechargable, and after about 50 pictures ( some inc flash ), it went flat - game over for the day!

If you want action photography, check what the shutter response time is ( the delay from pressing the button to the picture being taken ). Some digi cams are very slow on response times.

If you want close up pictures, check out the macro lens feature and see what the ranges are for normal and macro lenses.

As far as Mem card size, I have a 256MB card, and haven't filled it on a day out taking over 300, reasonable resolution pictures. Video on my cam uses about 10MB per minute. A typical 2048 x 1536 pixel image on fine quality on my cam is about 800Kb in size.

If you intend to do indoor photography, check out the cams results in lower light levels. Many will produce blurred images unless they have good light.

Well that's a start for you. You're best off getting recommendations from friends who have good cams. I was also told to stick to 'Names' of traditional cameras ( ie Canon, Nikon etc ) as theey know more about cameras and their lens quality is better.

Hope that helps,

Steve

i do alot of underground exploration, so i put a camera through its paces, wet, damp, mud , sand, and still demand quality and size.

olympus mj300

this is great, cards are small, it 3.2mp, and thats fine, check my site link all the pics are taken by it, cards are like a phone sim card, and the battery, which is a small unit that lasts forever! its a lithium and great, its an allround great camera!

and its splash proof! which is a huge help! trust me!

and i think it retails at about £300ish

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Olympus-Mju-300-Digital-Camera-3-2-Mega-Pixel-Extras_W0QQitemZ7578035985QQcategoryZ31388QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

thats the one, and seems well cheap now as a 2nd!

http://www.longforgotten.co.uk

I agree with most comments. Particularly:

1. As much optical zoom as you can. Zoom invaluable for leaning over that fence trying to snap some strange vehicle at a distance.

2. Macro very important. Say taking a picture of a serail no plate etc on equipment. Or someone has some nice pics or documents you want to copy - avoids having to try & borrow them.

3. Yes having AA cells, you can back up with if your main batteries go down.

4. Think about having the facility to take a video clip.

5. I have had a couple of Fujis I have been pleased with.

6. Make sure that if the batteries go down & you replace them that it has some memory. Mine is ok but my wifes (cheaper Fuji) seems to have no memory so that each time she uses it with a new batterry. The serial no given to the frame starts at 0000. So that she has lots of frames taken at different times that have the same serial number. Not a problem if each shoot is stored in a seperate folder on the PC. But moving images around can be a pain unless you rename the frame which is a pain as well.

Fuji F401 its fantastic, compact ,good battery life,optical and digi zoom, does video and all manner of other things.

Down side is that for some reason Fuji decided not to make it beer proof, seems to be gumming up the on/off switch :o

Had it over 2 years now so if its not repairable I will get the new model to this without a doubt.