Bedford mw spare wheel

No Signals

Just a qustion releated to the enquiry. Were all wartime 15cwt wheels identical and therefore interchangeable?

I can help with a photo of a WOT2 spare wheel bracket, but knowing Ford it will be a cheaper and simpler bracket than a Bedford.

MWD gs trucks were fitted with run flat tyres,.....no spare carried, you could POSSIBLY use method as fitted to MWR's, that is spare wheel is bolted to carrier which in turn is supported from rear chassis member and held in place by bracket and tie bolt through tailboard. (saying possiby as not sure if mwr and mwd rear chassis are same with firrings etc.)

I have seen ONE MW with depression in floor against front of body tub, with a central long bolt and plate 'fastener',........depression was trye sized, but owner wasn't about to ask, if 'home-brewed' or origional.

(must say, though, if wheel/trye was in place there, fair amount of room way lost.)

Also, this was reason, post forum crash, why i was enquiring about trye sealant.

All the best,

Andy.

Wanted,......soft top 352 gmc in exchange for 1943 MW Bedford.:):)

An MW I saw previously rotting in a scrapyard (I posted a link to pics somewhere, in the pre-crash days) I remember had the spare in the back and so I assumed this was standard. The man wasnt too happy with me climbing all over it and at the time I thought nothing of the fixing arrangement. I suppose I am going to have to make the trek back and view it again :(.

Thanks for the input guys. So what do other owners do if they dont have 'run flats' I wonder. This should be in the 'stupid question' section I know, but how are run flats identified?

MWD gs trucks were fitted with run flat tyres,.....no spare carried,

Andy,

Never seen any reference to runflats being standard fitment on MWD. They have a securing bolt in the rear body against headboard, drivers side, to clamp the spare wheel to, hence why the MWR has wheel on the back end, because there is no room inside.

Richard

Andy,

Never seen any reference to runflats being standard fitment on MWD. They have a securing bolt in the rear body against headboard, drivers side, to clamp the spare wheel to, hence why the MWR has wheel on the back end, because there is no room inside.

Richard

Richard,

Was going on tyre details page in MW drivers handbook where RF's are mentioned,.........alongside 'normal' type tyres,............and (apart from the one mentioned in my above posting) having not seen MW's with other mountings, maybe put 2 + 2 together and made 5. :)

Must have taken up room in there, though.

Andy

Richard,

Was going on tyre details page in MW drivers handbook where RF's are mentioned,.........alongside 'normal' type tyres,............and (apart from the one mentioned in my above posting) having not seen MW's with other mountings,

Andy,

I double checked to see if there was mention of RF tyres in any manuals related to MW and no mention, one book was 1941 and gave details of tyres fitted to all military Bedfords........no RF's.

The MW I restored and used to look after, is now in France and I do not have any photos of the interior, but my memory says it was a bolt that was hinged to the headboard, you positioned the wheel and threaded the bolt through one of the stud holes in the rim and a nut with handle retained.......details might not be quite correct, but pretty much like that. It had seats up both sides and the wheel was not that intrusive.

Which Bedford book mentioned RF, and what date?

MWD gs trucks were fitted with run flat tyres,.....no spare carried, you could POSSIBLY use method as fitted to MWR's, that is spare wheel is bolted to carrier which in turn is supported from rear chassis member and held in place by bracket and tie bolt through tailboard. (saying possiby as not sure if mwr and mwd rear chassis are same with firrings etc.)

I have seen ONE MW with depression in floor against front of body tub, with a central long bolt and plate 'fastener',........depression was trye sized, but owner wasn't about to ask, if 'home-brewed' or origional.

(must say, though, if wheel/trye was in place there, fair amount of room way lost.)

Also, this was reason, post forum crash, why i was enquiring about trye sealant.

All the best,

Andy.

Wanted,......soft top 352 gmc in exchange for 1943 MW Bedford.:):)

andy buy yourself a trailer:idea:

graham

Andy,

I double checked to see if there was mention of RF tyres in any manuals related to MW and no mention, one book was 1941 and gave details of tyres fitted to all military Bedfords........no RF's.

The MW I restored and used to look after, is now in France and I do not have any photos of the interior, but my memory says it was a bolt that was hinged to the headboard, you positioned the wheel and threaded the bolt through one of the stud holes in the rim and a nut with handle retained.......details might not be quite correct, but pretty much like that. It had seats up both sides and the wheel was not that intrusive.

Which Bedford book mentioned RF, and what date?

Richard,

Books are with Bedford, so I'll check during weekend. :)

Trailer is the other option, Graham,......trouble is wwii type ones are slightly rare and expensive. (Brit ones, anyways.......)

Also, there is the matter of storing it somewhere....

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I have two Bedford MW manuals and both mention that the standard MW is fitted with 'run-flat' tyres.

The June 1941 drivers handbook says at paragraph 60, p44:

'The standard 15cwt MW truck is fitted with "run-flat" tyres and carries no spare wheel"

The January 1945 drivers handbook says Task 16 D, p53:

'Inspect spare wheel mounting and tighten if necessary. No spare wheel fitted to vehicles equipped with Run-flat tyres'

Take your pick!! As with the Fordson WOT2's (mentioned in a Ford diagram I have. RF's changed the vehicle letter B,C,D etc as well as the Body style) it seems many 15cwts were indeed originally fitted with Run-flats.

Regards

Gunnerop

• 2 weeks later...

I believe the early MCC CS8's were fitted with RF tyres .. As I have not noticed any reference to spare wheels or spare wheel mounts in the parts lists... But I am not sure about this .. Was a spare carried, for example , in the BEF era CS8's ?

Maybe it was the very early MW's that had RF tyres , similar to the CS8's.

Mike