Is the movement doing enough........?

Jack

Not controversial at all Mike, I'm inclined to agree. When I got into the hobby, there was none of that really, it was just about the vehicles. Now, nearly all shows seem to be about living history where vehicles are just another prop. There are exceptions, the Headcorn show last year was very good with a few set piece displays and a good battle for the kids (young and old!) but really just a good old fashioned MV show.

I'm not complaining, it's all interesting but not why I got into it.

I'll steel myself for some reenactors telling me I'm a luddite.....:D I'm happy to wear appropriate attire for a parade but that's about as far as it goes for me.

Another thing that possibly puts new people off is the cost of things. Not only purchase but running.

That's very true, most of joe public seem to think anything under 45mpg is shocking :D.

The amount of BMW's and Chelsea tractors running baout :confused: Back in my day... there are still a lot of younger folk who have Land Rovers and Su..Suu.. I will say the word.. Suzukis. Whee, for fun it is just that the current pahse seems to be glitz and ICE. With the curent emphasis on Family History in schools I have found recently a lot of youngsters finding out Uncle Bill was a soldier has peacked their intrest.

The classic all in a line military vehicle has its place. Though for me they are a place for enthusiasits. I like them as it a chnce to sit around drinking tea, scrounging cake and chatting with people you haven't seen for a while. The PUBLIC, especially the younger set have been weaned on things like Call to arms and other computer games, they want at least intially spectical. So Living History and battles give them that.

The biggest thing is make the young people welcome. Talk to them. Intersts mature. So saying it nice at the end of the day when the PUBLIC, get bootted out and thereal fun starts.

Is the movement doing enough? No! Never can really: a large and seemingly growing proportion of the public very strongly disapprove of anything militarist or any kind of firearm. (Interestingly, most seemed to have voted for our previous Prime Minister who got us involved in more wars than his 5 (?) predecessors combined.) Unfortunately, this group will be alienated by all forms of re-enactment, even if they could be enthused about ancient machinery.

Seems to me that we need a double pronged approach. To the public at large, us as individuals and groups and clubs need to stress history, mechanics and human involvement with the machinery.

To paying customers at shows, all exhibitors are meeting a different cross section of the public: the military 'vegans' will not be there! Punters will be quite positive, probably even enthusiatic about re-enactment, weapons etc so this is not a problem. Anyone who pays out of their own pocket has already got at least a curiosity and probably a considerable interest. We need to positively encourage it: maybe even to the extent of allowing someone particularly interested to see inside, maybe even letting someone have a ride to/from the arena? How about a step ladder alongside so they can see inside without climbing in/on? Yes I know that if you let one in you get a queue but when things are quiet, why not? Also have your deckchair/table/beer cooler close to your vehicle then you can talk to the public without having to get up! If there are a number of you with a few vehicles, take turns going round the stalls for example.

For me, one problem is if you get one know it all git or rivet counter, then you tend to be a bit grumpy with follow up customers but I do try! Notice and information boards, particularly if you have before and after photos and basic weights and measures on it cause interest and also it answers the most repetetive questions.

No one should ever go away with a comment like "too expensive/complicated for you sonny' ringing in their ears!

My 2d's worth (I do actually remember £SD currency and have some in my pockets at shows!)

Not had much experience of MV shows only really seen them tacked onto air shows and classic car shows, hopefully I am now going to get to a few and who knows even participate.

I am more interested in the vehicle side. I like to see things doing what they were designed to do, I also like to stick my nose in and see what things look like close up. If you can get your hands dirty thats even better.

I have no objection to re-enactments and weapons demonstrations, although I do not see the point in dressing up unless you are partaking in a cpecific way which actually requires this.

I feel that the younger generation, seem to be in the throw away society. To many it appears that a car is something that gets you from A to B and have no interest beyond that. Young lad at work sums it up. his car has blown the head gasket, rather than fix it he is going to buy another one. That is also the way they have been brought up. Mind you unless you have a degree in computer science and a lap top your a bit stuffed ith modern vehicles. Part of the reason for wanting an old vehilcle to play with. A computer is something you need to source parts and assistance.

i shall have to work on the two candidates I know. Next doors lad into anything military, he thinks it is cool to have a Green and Black Land Rover next door. My nephew who is into Land Rovers at the moment, amongst anything else with an engine. (now the Land Rover is safe must let him drive it) I blame this on my parents being on a farm and his mother owning a 64 Mustang (her first and only car) although my brother is the only one to drive it.

What it does need is for people to get youngsters involved allow them to touch and get up close. let them have their picture taken sitting in your vehicle, answer all there questions. Ensure their parents are involved or encourage it.

Alternatively get the child to nag the parents, it works when they persistantly ask for a dog/cat/hamster. It is only a short step to a Sherman.

Hiding things behind ropes with a notice boards tends to turn things into a museum and in tmy day they were boring, except for the Science Museum and the Imperial War Museum, they had button to bress and handles to turn and things happened.

Mike

PS

Classic cars the Goodwood Revival is probably best, oops just stacked my £1 million Ferrari soon fix it again, that is the right attitude.

Very good points. I totally agree because I like variety and we are not sheep. My wish is to see both uniformed and mufti preferences co-existing in happy peace. Can I moderate at this point and ask we don't digress into a debate about wearing uniforms/'playing soldiers'/the secret life of Walter Mitty etc.... and keep with the general theme. Not that it was..just pre-empting... :D

Can I be contravertial and say that one reason that there is not many younger members coming into the movement COULD be that there is too much emphasis on wearing uniforms, owning guns, and building military camps at shows. Not everyone comes from a military background or aspires to be a soldier.

Those of us, who like me, have no intention of dressing up, and stripping Lee Enfields on a Sunday morning sat round the camp fire, wearing camo, might feel left out.

I think we need to do more to promote ownership of military vehicles, without trying to sell the new enthuiasts a whole lifestyle they MAY not want.