Registering a wide vehicle - nightmare?!

madrat

Hi All,

I have recently achieved my dream of purchasing a Scammell Pioneer, the vehicle (I don't think) has been ever registered on the road. Everything seamed to be going very well with getting paperwork to register it with the DVLA, then....

I read elsewhere in the forum about new maximum vehicle width regulations which would prevent any vehicle over 2.55m wide from being registered in the UK. The pioneer I think is 2.66m wide?

Has this dream of mine turned into an expensive nightmare? :cry:

The Pioneer is a locomotive, (heavy loco if over 11,690 Kg U/W or a light Loco if between 7,320 and 11,690 Kg U/w)

A locomotive is defined as a motor vehicle not constructed itself to carry a load other than equipment for propulsion, loose tools and loose equipment.

The maximum permitted width under construction and use regs 1986 reg 8 for a locomotive is is 2.75 Metres, but a vehicle can be run under Special types general Orders above this width but advanced notification is required.

You have no worries whatsoever. It is perfectly acceptable to register this vehicle.

Edited by antarmike

I can't see that an OT 810 could be classed as a locomotive, it was clearly designed to carry troops and their weaopons. It cannot therefore go to 2.75M as a Pioneer can. It appears to me that it's maximum legal width would have to be 2.55Metres only.

I am assuming the Pioneer is a Recovery vehicle, and not the Gun Tractor. The Gun Tractor is clearly designed to carry a gun crew and Ammunition and is therefore not a locomotive. The permitted width of a gun tractor would be 2.55 Metres (as I understand it)

Edited by antarmike

Guys, Thanks for all the words of wisdom (And all other comments). I have been described as 'loco' on many occasions so it would seam only fitting that the pioneer is registered as one! :-D The pioneer is indeed a recovery unit so it looks like I'm ok!

Vehicle built or modifed for the treatment or transport of casualties.?
Casualties such as DVLA officers that wont let me get it registered?! :argh:

ArtistsRifles good luck with yours! Amazing vehicle although its your fault I got worried in the first place! :n00b:

Heavy locomotive is a vehicle definition, it is not a taxation class. Your correct taxation class will be "Historic vehicle" The fact that it is a locomotive will be of no interst to swansea or the local DVLA office. Traffic police and Ministry inspectors (VOSA) are responsible to see that a vehicle conforms to C and U regs.

It is not worth the confusion of even mentioning Heavy locomotives to the DVLA or it's representitives. They deal with taxation Classes not vehicle definitions.

All you have to do to get it road registered as Historic vehicle is to give them absolute proof of it's age. If they choose to inspect it it will be to see the chassis number matches the documentation proving it's age, they will not be out with a tape measure to check it's width. It is not within their remit.

Edited by antarmike