Fort Nelson

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

fortnelson007.jpg

This chap gave a great talk about the birth of the guns of the west,after we all went up to handle them.

fortnelson009.jpg

i would quite like this one for Christmas live of course,which way to the fuel protest.

What is it look carefully,ruddy heavy

fortnelson008.jpg

I wish i could remember what outfit he was wearing historicaly correct a vigilanty group i think.

Edited by catweazle (Banned Member)

fortnelson023.jpg

Here he is again as Davy Crocket,he gave a talk about him the true story of course.

In post 32 I beleive the rifle is a "Henry" the first multi round self loading gun held 16 rounds in the magazine under the barrel

it was said You loaded it on sunday and fired all week long . compared with the then single round at a time rifles of the time .dates to 1864 period

Edited by abn deuce

In post 32 I beleive the rifle is a "Henry" the first multi round self loading gun held 16 rounds in the magazine under the barrel

it was said You loaded it on sunday and fired all week long . compared with the then single round at a time rifles of the time .dates to 1864 period

I believe it was a Remmington,fore runner to the Winchester,wasnt Henry Colt ,remmington all involved with each other.The loading mech wasnt very good on that model and the under barrel storage was open to the elements,all rectified in the winchester,its amazing the army wouldnt adopt it thro lack of stopping power.i think i would rather have 16 less affective rounds than one.

fortnelson013.jpg

fortnelson018.jpg

Conveyor belt for anti aircraft ammo,it was along way to the far side.outside was a narrow gauge r/way captured WW1,used to ferry the ammo around the site.

fortnelson016.jpg

Goverment bought only a small number , Army types felt a gun like that would be wasteful of ammo so stayed with single round rifles for a long time afterwards , I think that mind set last until at least the Spanish American War or perhaps just before the Great war at that time they did purchase the BAR and the Browning 30 and 50 cal. machine guns

Sexton. 25 ponder mounted in a modified Ram chassis. Looks like an early one as it doesn't have the radio boxes on the rear corners....I've definitely been looking at this forum too long! How do i know these things????

Actually, no! It's a very late one and it does have the boxes, neither of which are for radios, it's just they are almost out of shot.

How do I know these things? I restored it back in 1988 for the Royal Armouries. That is it's original number and ISTR it was built/ delivered just post war. The very last ones were fitted with the three piece front end, a throwback to earlier production.

The boxes on the back are batteries (lh side) and auxiliary generator (rh side).

It is built on Ram though, not a lot of people know that!