HELP!

Meteor mark 4B

Some of you might be aware that the 1/2 lightweight Land Rover was used in Military , national and international rallying. I would like to get further info on this, so if anyone has the odd snippet, it will be gratefully received.

Next... does anyone know of, or has ever seen the following VRNs:

67FK22 23FM26 25FM66 and03GF79. These were all used in rallying. Certainly there were those with turbochargers and overdrives, not to mention balanced this and that. Would they have been released like that? I think probably not.

Finally I am seeking the odd original photo. Any ideas? Some of you may have seen an article in the EMLRA newsletter about LRs and motorsport. I am now attempting to get more information.

Some of you might be aware that the 1/2 lightweight Land Rover was used in Military , national and international rallying. I would like to get further info on this, so if anyone has the odd snippet, it will be gratefully received.

I do remember one coming in to REME workshops once, a good few years ago now though. Probably late 70's. The guy from the Army Rally Team, brought it over from Germany, we were nearby to Piper Cams and they did some work on the engine, from vague memory they fuel injected it. The engine was then run up in our test house on a brake. My memory seems to say, that the guy was not satisfied with the performance and they reverted back to a normal set up with carb. Do not think it had a turbo at that time. This was in the days of the 3 bearing crank too.

Richard

Just to let you know that I own a lightweight that was based at Fallingbostal and was with the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards and The 2nd Royal Tank Regiment. When I got it, it had traces of being a rally vehicle and this was suggested by a serving workshop controller at a army base close to where i took it to its first show. The canvas had side windows, it had marks and a tear where it had a roll cage fitted plus holes in floor plates. It had a spare wheel mount in the back. Holes in the headlight boxes that were poss where a bracket was mounted for spot lights. Extra horn button on passenger side and isolater switches to cut off battery. There was no evidence of any engine mods but it has what i believe to be the original 5 bearing engine. When I restored it, when removing the layers of paint from the bonnet sides i found the moto of the 2nd Royal Tank Reg boldly painted (Fear Naught)

Hope this of interest

Dougy

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Mark,

Finally found some pics of my lightweight when I got it in 1997. At the time I wanted a 24V RHD FFR Camo Lightweight hard top with artic heater, as you can see I was nowhere near. There didn't seem to be many around when I wanted one, then half way through restoration the army cast all the series threes.

85KA196.jpg

85KA194.jpg

Hopefully you can see where some of the mods are that I mentioned in earlier post.

85KA197.jpg

The 2nd Royal Tank Regiment Moto I found when stripping layers of paint on side of bonnet.

Must have been mad, first outting after 2year rebuild

85KA198.jpg

Dougy

Thanks for that. I had a very interesting chat to Allan Allard the turbo man on Friday of last week. Hopefully details of this and other rally Land Rover items,will be in Windscreen.

I note your slogan re plant and machinery.After doing regular army service on Centurion and Chieftain tanks, and working for the MOD testing Chieftains, I spent 30 odd years driving heavy plant for English China Clays, now Imerys. I took early retirement and now work on a chain ferry!