HARRY POUNDS (last days)

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Hi Richard,Landing ship tank,last one in the world 1944.The Maritime steam restoration trust want to buy and restore it,£50,000.HMS STALKER>

Hi Richard,Landing ship tank,last one in the world 1944.The Maritime steam restoration trust want to buy and restore it,£50,000.HMS STALKER>

Thanks John,

That would be a costly exercise, but to think of loading it up with tanks, etc and unloading at Arromanches when completed :-D

A great adventure that would be simular to the group that has saved a WWII Liberty cargo ship the "John Brown " who use the vessel as a moving museum taking people out for a day trip with re-inactors dressed in uniform and some times use the ships equipment to load a couple of WWII vehicles to show how it was done .

Is this really really the only one of its kind left? And is this a recent picture CW?

There is no evidence of another one,picture taken january 2008,arsefart hunting,more to come.

Just how big is this yard of Harry's anyway

Mark the yard now is closed,it was huge in its day,cant find any pics as yet of those days keep fingers crossed.Posted mayhem form back today.

A great adventure that would be simular to the group that has saved a WWII Liberty cargo ship the "John Brown " who use the vessel as a moving museum taking people out for a day trip with re-inactors dressed in uniform and some times use the ships equipment to load a couple of WWII vehicles to show how it was done .

Thats what they want to do but i cant see the lottery helping they have the olympics to bale out,who wants it,not me.A huge job and the upkeep there after doesnt bare thinking about.i dont think it would be exciting enough for the punters.now one of these.

IMGP0047.jpg

Would fetch in the dosh.

tn_P55620SCRAP20POUNDS20YARD201986.jpg

Sorry poor picture,but this is the sub everyone asked about after they had driven past the yard.

Formerly USS S-29 became H.M.S.P556.

Transfered to Royal Navy june1942,was used for anti submarine training in Plymouth/Portsmouth.

She was damaged by fire battery explosion Jan 1944.Taken out of service in April same year.

Returned tu U.S.Navy Jan 1945.Sold for scrap to pounds yard Jan 1947. Supposed scraped 1965 but i am sure it was around after that.

Build started 1919,completed 1922.

640 tons.202 ft long,13 knts surface,10 submerged.6 tubes 12 torpedos.3in gun,one 303 machine gun.

Edited by catweazle (Banned Member)

catweazle3.jpg

Mark you do ask some silly questions,i am a ruddy wizard.

Edited by catweazle (Banned Member)