Congestion Charge...

Marmite!!

Without wanting to kick off the "Hang Red Ken" thing again.. have a read of this... if confirmed it could be good news for some of us...

http://www.wwiireenacting.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=41898

I haven't copied the post over as Chris (Fox Baker Charlie) icon_user_offline.gifis a forum member & may post it here anyway...... one to watch though...

Good news indeed - thanks Lee!! :):):)

Cautiously good news Neil... needs checking out & confirming in writing...how many times have we all been told something on the phone only for someone else to phone & be told completely the opposite... if true they could have one or two refunds to make:cool2:

I think the unladen weight of the vehicle is relevant. There was an article in one of the Classic Commercial magazines a few months ago which I shall endeavor to find.

Sorry, just found the article I was thinking of and it refers to Pollution Charges not Congestion Charges. As you may well know commercial vehicles over 12 tonnes and registered after 1/1/1973 will need to pay a DAILY charge of £200 per day from the 8/7/2008. I'm quoting page 10, "Classic Commercials" magazine, August 2007.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
No newts is good newts.

MB

Please dont link my friends with that man.Not getting involved with this one, i wont be able to control myself.:-D

Hi Guys,

I might have got the wrong end of the stick here and I'm wandering off topic a bit but I went onto the website at the top of this item and reading it through I saw that Historic Vehicles are exempt on the Dartford Crossing but when I e-mailed them I was told I had to pay. Anyone have a difinitive answer?

Regards,

John.

• 1 month later...

I finally got a letter back from TfL after enquiring about the CC exemption for Historic Vehicles and it says there is NO exemption for Historic Vehicles. An exemption was considered during the consultation process but it was deemed that this would "...set precedents that could potentially undermine the decongestion benefits of Congestion Charging."

In other words, (a) Historic Vehicles still cause congestion so why should they be exempt? (b) exempting Historic Vehicles would encourage more people to purchase them to evade the CC, thus undermining the intention.

I think we'd all agree these are valid and reasonable points in the context of the CC.

So there we go. It was an unfounded rumour. If someone would care to copy this over the the original forum I'm happy for that to be done.

- Mike

So instead you buy umpten ££££££ plus umpteen 0's after them Maybach huge great mobile shopping centre, and register it as a mini cab! Costs abut £27 per year. So there you go WLF mini cabs, we don't collect you, we collect the car!. Another joy of the 101 it's exempt. hey they made the rules!:cool2:

I NO exemption for Historic Vehicles. .I think we'd all agree these are valid and reasonable points in the context of the CC.

Valid maybe ,reasonable they dont know the meaning of the word.a large percentage of my rapidly deminishing clients have small companys ,nearly all agree the cc has been the single most disaster ever ,now coupled with the emmision zones,last one turn the light out.,What about the rumour that if you are rd tax free ,as in motorbility you dont pay,any thoughts on that.,

They are right about people driving historic vehicles i now use mine everyday,so as to create as much of a nuisense as possible.i have now got to a stage where my aim is to annoy as many officials as possible.So far we have won every conflict we have had.Dont believe a word they say ,i would wont to see the legal document to prove it.we have found that it is not uncommon to be sent papers that only qoute the bits that suit them,One of the most popular is.

YOU MUST IDENTIYFY THE DRIVER AT THE TIME OF THE ALLEGED OFFENCE.

YOU MUST WITH DUE DILLIGANCE IDENTYFY THE DRIVER AT THE TIME OF THE ALLEGED OFFENCE,puts a totally different slant on things.and is more correct.:argh::argh::argh:

Please dont link my friends with that man.Not getting involved with this one, i wont be able to control myself.:-D

OH dear,

Boris does seem to be doing something to clean up the last ten years of ******** . Trouble is a lot of the enforcement for congestion charge and emissions are tied to contracts with Private companies! To close them down would cost a fortune.

Boris does seem to be doing something to clean up the last ten years of ******** . Trouble is a lot of the enforcement for congestion charge and emissions are tied to contracts with Private companies! To close them down would cost a fortune.

When the time comes he doesnt have to renew them tho.