Scammell Explorer Gallery

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers, it's not been on the road since the early 90s which may explain why you have not seen it.

Now in need of some work, which we are planning to get in to soon!

I see, now understand the (1989) bit.

Will be good to see it out and about again.

Several years ago my dad went to Nothe fort in Weymouth only to find an Explorer in the courtyard there.

While out for the day in Weymouth with my girlfriend on Saturday I went to see if it was there. The fort was closed for the day but the chap on the gate reported that there was no Scammell there anymore. He can't have been volunteering there long because he didn't seem to know what I was talking about.

Does anyone know what happened to it?

Richard

Yes I remember, when it came up for disposal the museum wanted it gone, a non runner petrol , driven into the courtyard , and from memory a very tight access to drive in, bids were offered in writing to the museum with a method statement of removing such a dead item.

A local mate fat Harry gave me the lead, and i recall bidding £800 for it, that must of been 10 +years ago, I had a lovely letter back from the museum thanking me for my offer of only two interested parties who put in written bids ! I think I was £100 light in my offer from memory.

not sure where it ended up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We bought it from a guy near reading who bought it from pickering back in 2006 then never used it much, bought it as no runner. After setting the timing resealing inlet manifold still no joy, just found number one inlet valve is stuck and bent a push rod. See what tmrw brings haha

• 1 month later...

Evening everyone. It's been a long time since I've had a chance to get on the forum. My head has for once ruled my heart and I have decided to sell Thor, as I don't have time to devote to further restoration, so if you know anyone in the market for an Explorer, I would like to see him go to a good home, where he will be completed and used. See my ad here http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?49754-1955-Scammell-Explorer

If there is no interest I will go to EBay, but want to give enthusiasts the chance first.

The sale includes far too many spares to list individually and I have tried to retain as much of the original vehicle as possible.

All best

Darren.