Scammell Explorer Gallery

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top drawer stuff Andy - well spotted!!! :thumbsup:

The one on the right I recognise as the rare Bedford cab big wing Explorer - not sure about the one on the left though, unless it is another of the same (well always a good idea to have a second old dog for spares :cool2:).

Top drawer stuff Andy - well spotted!!! :thumbsup:

The one on the right I recognize as the rare Bedford cab big wing Explorer - not sure about the one on the left though, unless it is another of the same (well always a good idea to have a second old dog for spares :cool2:).

Not sure about the one on the left either, no sun shield, looks more like summat American to me..

Thanks Tony , its good to be recognized by ones fellow spotters every once in a while ;)

Andy this proves it, you're the Master:bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:ter.......

Excellent Andy, MK3 Explorer , Bernard's dream if I remember correct !

Just hitching up the trailer and greasing the prop, trust you have the sat nav reference ;).

Quite Right John, we need a location, maybe somewhere antipodean at a guess?

Quite Right John, we need a location, maybe somewhere antipodean at a guess?

Bernard,

The tanks look like old Russian ones, very doubtful this is in the Antipodes. Australia did not have those Scammells but New Zealand did. While in Australia recently, I was talking to a guy there who is keen on getting an Explorer and told me he missed out on buying one of the NZ ones, of which he said there were only 3, one now in a museum, and another scrapped.

My guess is the picture is from the Middle East somewhere.

regards Richard

According to Bart Vanderveen, Egypt bought some Scammell Explorers ........ this could fit with the Russian tanks in the picture ....... more research needed ... closer to home too!

PS

Just gone back through this thread and post #1063 gives the answer .....it is Egypt !

Edited by Richard Farrant
just found the answer

It does include NZ, but the tanks look alien to that country, hence why I thought the location was the Middle East, or towards Asia maybe. Who else bought these late Explorers?

According to the MOS contracts list I have NZ had 3, Egypt had 62, so seems like Egypt is favorite...Dammit I was there not very long ago!

Some more views of the same location:

http://ids.lib.harvard.edu/ids/view/view/11819894

http://ids.lib.harvard.edu/ids/view/view/11819889

And just for export Leyland fans, look what else they snapped!

http://ids.lib.harvard.edu/ids/view/view/11819891

smiley-sherlock.gif

If you change the number on the end of the link going up and down you'll also find a wrecked plane and helicopter - might help locate the Explorer if you know what you're looking at. My guess is Egypt or Libya.

Edited by N.O.S.

Could well be, Degsy. I know very little about the history out there. Just found another photo of tanks (different spot) with this caption (the associated plane and helicopter wreck pictures would make sense in this context too):

A line of Egyptian tanks lays abandoned after Israel overtook them in the Mitla Pass, Sinai Peninsula, June 1967. After Egypt blocked the strategic Straits of Tiran and expelled U.N. forces from the Sinai Desert, Israel launched pre-emptive strikes on June 5, 1967, against Egyptian and Syrian air forces, destroying them on the ground. In six days of one-sided battles, Israeli forces captured the West Bank, Golan Heights, the Gaza Strip and Sinai from Jordan, Syria and Egypt.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
'Private Benjamin' leaving his old home.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]76753[/ATTACH]

Tight squeeze!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]76754[/ATTACH]

Time to leave!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]76755[/ATTACH]

En-Route!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]76756[/ATTACH]

'Private Benjamin' arrived safely at his new home!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]76757[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]76758[/ATTACH]

Who's a big boy then!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]76759[/ATTACH]

A friend of mine was staying at a caravan site this week, its still on the trailer, no bonnet or engine covers. IMG_0565.jpg

IMG_0562.jpg

IMG_0563.jpg

IMG_0564.jpg

Private benjamin is owned by a good friend of mine Nick Steggal, He's just done the engine conversion himself, also managed to squeeze a massive cummins 6BT into a landrover defender 90!

hes a friendly old boy, still has the original petrol engine and conpoments but hes not going to be selling the parts incase he decides to put it back to original spec!

Got thousands of pictures of the engine conversion

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...