Scammell Explorer Gallery

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Andi, my wife, says she has the best bit of Scammell restoring equipment. It's her new Barrel stove she is stoking up to keep her warm. The shed she is working in has an open end, but she has the stove in her container/ workshop, and she keeps diving in there for a warm up.

andiscammell010.jpg

She wishes everone working on an Explorer this year a very Happy New Year.

Edited by antarmike
image added

Claims to be red oxide, but it dries semi-gloss. Bought out of Industrial Exchange and Mart in bulk 20 Litre drum. (cheapish £35). (http://www.paintmaster.co.uk 01633 733633)

You don't have to overpaint it after it is dry. It keeps moisture out very well, just on its own. We have used red oxides that if left unpainted let the rust in within a week or so.

Edited by antarmike

Hi there, nice to others working on scammels in this chilly weather!!!

A few more pics of todays progress.

Looking good. Just think how long you'd have had to wait if this job had been done on the National Health Service.

Why is it when your about to perform a delicate operation (like removing a really heavy engine with a very small chain hoist) all your friends turn up at the same time with really unhelpful advice and happily take the p*** when it all goes a bit pear shaped? They all fly mode airplanes at my house. I like to call them the bobble hat brigade.

Don't know when i will start to strip the engine down as i really should take little Jenny shopping (she did go over the whole cab with an oily rag today and provide tea all day bless) so it may be a while before any further progress takes place.

Rob.

yea my may mates are much the same they all exepect a drive when u have finished aswell dont they :argh:

What I've noticed is that there's a turning point where your mates stop telling you how stupid you were to buy the lorry and how you'll never be able to get this bit, or that bit, and that you'll never get it running and then start telling you you're a jammy b**ard. This turning point when you stop being totally stupid and magically become a lucky, or jammy, b**ard usually happens at about the time you get the lorry back on the road.

This turning point when you stop being totally stupid and magically become a lucky, or jammy, b**ard usually happens at about the time you get the lorry back on the road.

Or when you get it running and can pull them out of the mud when they get stuck! I've noticed two definite camps when visitors come to the farm-lorry drivers always appreciate an old Scammell lurking in the corner and have to have a peek. To most of the rest of the world it's just another pile of rust...:n00b:

That picture of all the Scammell explorers lined up outside the factory always makes me wonder. One could be mine! They all have sprung tow hitches so are of the right contract. It just makes me wonder if Big Jenny is in that line up?:??? I like to think she's the last one you can make out right at the far end.

We can all dream can't we.

Sorry i can't fine a copy of the pic anywhere.

Rob.