Scammell Explorer Gallery

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't been on here for ages. How's the cab coming along Thor? Glad the telegraph pole worked for the roof sides. I haven't worked for ages on my Explorer but hopefully there'll be time in the Summer. I've made all the panels, but need to get time to fit them now! cheers. Daz

Haven't been on here for ages. How's the cab coming along Thor? Glad the telegraph pole worked for the roof sides. I haven't worked for ages on my Explorer but hopefully there'll be time in the Summer. I've made all the panels, but need to get time to fit them now! cheers. Daz

hi daz cab is coming on have just put some more pics on:)

Here are a few pictures of the two surviving Constructor cabbed Explorers in New Zealand ! They where kindly sent to me by Kevin Watkins of the famous house moving business ! All copyright remains with Kevin ! The pictures show the one formerly owned by Kevin but now sold on to a collector in New Zealand and the other is the one in the New Zealand Armys collection at Trentham ! Kevin tells me that the third one was scrapped by the army in the seventies !:cry: img055.jpgimg054.jpgimg053.jpgimg052.jpgimg048.jpgimg047.jpgimg046.jpg

According to Kevin they had Rolls Royce engines Tom !:confused:

According to 'Scammell Vehicles' edited by Bart Vanderveen they had Meadows 6D630 Diesels fitted, but 'Scammell' by Pat Kennet says that some had the RR CNFL fitted. Said to have been 246 built, the majority going to NZ.

According to Kevin they had Rolls Royce engines Tom !:confused:

Of course they've got Rolls Royce engines. Everyone knows that. I was just seeing if you were paying attention. Personally, I feel the Kiwis should return these Explorers to the Land of Pom so that we can properly examine them. (we'd give 'em back, honest):-D

Is there any limit to the amount of misinformation within military vehicle reference books ? I thought *** ** *** by *** **** was bad enough but it now seems others are at it. I think I might write a "Definitive Guide to Military Vehicles" myself and just make up all the facts and figures as I go along.

More from Bart H. Vanderveen.

sc0043a3ab.jpg

Said to have been 246 built, the majority going to NZ.

"Said to have been 246 built, the majority going to New Zealand". If that is true, then our Kiwi brothers have another 200 or so Explorers hidden away that they're keeping quiet about. I wonder if it's about time an Official Forum Expedition was sent to NZ to see exactly what's going on.

"Said to have been 246 built, the majority going to New Zealand". If that is true, then our Kiwi brothers have another 200 or so Explorers hidden away that they're keeping quiet about. I wonder if it's about time an Official Forum Expedition was sent to NZ to see exactly what's going on.

Well young 6x6, Pat Kennet's book also says the 246 were built in the mid 1950s, so there! your Bart's book must be wrong! :shake: :sweat:

66 of them really did go to Egypt, (got documentary evidence) not so far to make a run for home when we find a couple!

66 of them really did go to Egypt, (got documentary evidence)

I wonder how many were in service with the New Zealand Army. Bart H.Vanderveen seems to think it was four. So far, in this thread, there has been mention of three.

Where's Andy, surely as he still has a way to go with his cab, it would not be too late for him to build a replica? I'm sure HMVF could come up with the parts a few at a time, speed is not of the essence here............ :-D

We need not remind him of the RR diesel needed, just tell him that everyone would be pestering to drive his for a change! :cool2: