Scammell Explorer Gallery

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Great story mike,i once worked there as a plumbers mate ,also houses of Parliament,her maj has her own loo there that is never used by anyone else.

Not officially anyway:whistle:

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMG-2.jpg

IMG_0001-2.jpg

was this explorer built as a ballast tractor or has it been converted pic is dated at 1960 i know there were explorers as ballast tractors for a middle east oil company but ive never heard or seen any others ?

Edited by younggun

was this explorer built as a ballast tractor or has it been converted pic is dated at 1960 i know there were explorers as ballast tractors for a midle east oil company but ive never herd or seen eny others ?

Wonderful photographs younggun, thank you for sharing them. I assume the top picture shows them trying to cope with a weight limit on the bridge and controlling the trailer using cables or chains. Or is the trailer just stuck ?

Wonderful photographs younggun, thank you for sharing them. I assume the top picture shows them trying to cope with a weight limit on the bridge and controlling the trailer using cables or chains. Or is the trailer just stuck ?

6x6 in the heavy haulage world one is never stuck just slightly delayed

trailer is being winched across to keep excess weight off the bridge a practice still being used to this day .

Edited by younggun

According to Pat Wares book Tugs of War pg132-135 the only difference is the ballast box for the RAF spec. Contract 5924 ! Couple of pics show it to be the same as your pics Youngun !:-D

thanks for confirming that andy :thumbsup: i hope some ballast explorers are still out there somewhere .

Edited by younggun

Thor698,

'Thor' is "Nightmare ?.....Quite a transformation ! If you don't mind me saying 'Nightmare' did look a bit sinister when all in black. I remember 'Efnick' very well. I think I once saw you in company with 'Efnick' blasting down the A303, probably on your way to a show, one Friday evening.

God willing, I should be at this years 'Noggin' and Natter' so look forward to meeting you then.

What happened to the very nice sand coloured Explorer that was often at rallies with you and your mates ? It's owner lived on a farm very close to the A303 and very kindly sold me a front winch cable guide for a Scammell.

Edited by 6 X 6

was this explorer built as a ballast tractor or has it been converted pic is dated at 1960 i know there were explorers as ballast tractors for a middle east oil company but ive never heard or seen any others ?

From the book "HILLS OF BOTLEY" we find that TOT297 was first registered by Hills 1958 and was ex military, with what looks like a Hills built body. There is a lovely colour shot of it too, maroon body/cab with crimson bonnet. Fitted with a 680. They had another with standard body called 'Tiny Tot' being used in early '60s.

Back to the Paris Hilton memoirs...

Hi 6x6

The sand coloured scammell was nicknamed LSU because of her reg-sorry cannot remember rest of reg. It was brought by a chap and went London way. She still gets to GDSF in the military section. There are pictures on this thread from Croc-she it still sand coloured.

Rally season I am always tanking up and down the 303 picking on anything I can catch!!.

Efnick has just been sold again for the second time in as many years and is now also heading London way.

I would love to take her back to black but have struggled to find cheap paint! Green is cheap and plentiful.

Hi 6x6

The sand coloured scammell was nicknamed LSU because of her reg-sorry cannot remember rest of reg. It was brought by a chap and went London way. She still gets to GDSF in the military section. There are pictures on this thread from Croc-she it still sand coloured.

Index #49 finds it, now owned by top man John Millam, (E. Sx., nowhere near London:-D) often seen in the company of Harris's Explorer and Matadors.

Index #49 finds it, now owned by top man John Millam, (E. Sx., nowhere near London:-D) often seen in the company of Harris's Explorer and Matadors.

so east sussex is nowhere near London, whot way do you go :???

Can anyone help.

My friend Bob owns Doughty XSU765 on page one of the Leyland Martian thread.

He had a cab fire yesterday. He is looking for a picture of a Martian in similar condition with a price as proof of value for his insurance.

He will also be looking for parts and advice on the best way to put the damage right. To say he is completely gutted would be an understatement. :(

Any help any of you guys could offer would be greatfully received and passed on. Thank you.:)