New Year's Day Parade 2008, London

We did the New Year's Day Parade in London today. We took 2 halftracks and our group's American aerial ladder fire truck. There was also a representation from the Heathrow / Staines area MVT group. 700,000 of my fans came to adore me 8-) and the rain held off almost completely.

How do you get to go on the parade?The vehicles that i own are located no more than 2 1/2 miles from parliment.Could have made that with ease.Going back to the Fire Engine.How old is it??I looks a lot like what the FDNY have now.I had a tour of a fire house in NY in 01 prior to 9/11 and it looks a lot like what they currently have.

If I remember correctly it is a mid '60s truck and trailer which was re-cabbed and re-engined in the '80s. I'll need to ask the owner as I've only been involved with it as a tillerman. It was bought directly from the fire dept. The truck was withdrawn because of a small crack in the chassis - nothing serious but enough for it to fail re-certification.

The main 2-stage ladder is 100' and the truck also carries another 5 or 10 ground ladders of various sizes as well as a diesel generator, smoke ventilation fans, floodlights and other fire-fighting equipment. There is no pump as this type of truck is used in conjunction with a separate pump apparatus. A hose is permanently installed running up the ladder to a monitor at the top. The truck has a crew of 7.

The rear of the trailer is equipped with a small cabin with an air assisted steering wheel. This allows the truck to manouevre in very tight spaces and makes reversing a doddle (if you have a good crew!) The rear steering is completely independent of the front and can be pinned for long distance driving.

- Mike