What is it in? Radio buffs question!

Rick W

That looks like a Damped Spark, coherer set. I'd love to get my hands on one. They were also fitted to Type B , Old Bill buses for ground use.

What does that all mean, Tony?

BTW Rick your picture has gone very low resolution.

The Coherer was the first transmitting 'Valave'. it consisted of two vacuum glass tubes with aluminum powder in them . when a current was passed trough one a spark jumped across the gap. this caused radio wave generation http://home.earthlink.net/~lenyr/coherer.htm

This guy explains it better.

The link wouldn't work for me. This isn't a spark transmitter, these are thermionic valves, NT24 triodes. There are two rigs here, one on the 30 metre band for surfaced comms & the other on 10 metres experimenting with underwater transmissions.

Not sure what you meant about "They were also fitted to Type B , Old Bill buses for ground use". But these things had massive power demands with a DC input of 3kw to the anode, hence the big Type 9 Transformer on the lower left.

Rick, fascinating antenna system on the tank. I thought they just used pigeons & semaphore. Sorry to have hijacked the thread but it made me dig out this old report on cutting edge comms in 1925. Fascinating document, circuit diagrams, photos, signal strength versus time & date charts. H43 was in the English Channel but consistant signal pretty well from monitoring stations in Gibraltar & Malta.

the SIZE of the Tubes and those Insulators !!!! Looks like some serious voltages were being used.......seems to me the equipment at least looks like it could have have been more lethal to the operator than any result from the poor quality of the signal it was trying to transmit.