Humber 1 ton cargo 01BK24 - restore maybe?

Kevin Julian

Hi All

I've just bought a third Humber truck. This one is a cargo truck with the chassis plate showing ERM 01BK24, chassis number 20124, contract 6 VEH 6443. Still working on getting it picked up so unsure what the exact condition is. It doesn't look great on the photo's. It has a road reg plate showing 0696GFL and did have a crane/winch fitted but now removed. not sure what I will be doing with it yet, will asses condition when it arrives and decide from there I think. It seems an early ERM number!

Just reaching out to see if anyone has come across it before or has any info.

Many thanks Kevin

01BK24 PIC FROM 2022.1.jpg

This truck is a great find. The cabs were rotting out on these 30 years ago so to find one that looks this good and complete is very rare. They are great to drive and quite reliable once you get them right. And wonderful to have two in-service pictures too.

David

7 hours ago, Kevin Julian said:

Correct Sean. Plates seen better days. Should have realised it was a Q

Might tell you something about the history (as you probably know); given the Q and the vehicle type, it was perhaps cast and registered between 1984 and 1988, or more likely was disposed of earlier and was forced onto a Q once recovery trucks weren't allowed to run on trade plates?

If you look past the surface rust and flaky paint it looks quite solid. I have a feeling this one was offered for sale some years ago in this condition, perhaps on ebay?

Edited by Sean N

Along the lines that Sean was thinking I have a feeling that in recent years that vehicle was discussed on here. I say that because of the unusual crane arrangement made me search my pictures of craned Humbers & couldn't find anything to match. Yes quite a few were running on trade plates.

There are a few threads on breakdown Humbers:

https://hmvf.co.uk/topic/7638-humber-1ton/page/2/#comment-112957

https://hmvf.co.uk/topic/44462-humber-1-ton-gs-cargo-for-sale-on-ebay/#comment-489032

Kevin your Humber was cast on 16/5/65

The original engine no. 3683

Hi All

Thanks for the feedback and information. The first photo I posted 'with the crane' was from an ebay sale in 2022. The guy i've bought it off probably picked it up then but has only removed the crane since.  I'm  looking forward to seeing it in the flesh. From the pics it doesn't seem to have the ware and tare you might expect from civi use and I am not sure which of the many colours is the top layer. The chassis plate is the first one I have seen that has not been  painted over. Thanks for the engine number Clive and the in-service pics, be interesting to see if it has the original engine. I'll post an update once received and I've gone over it.  

IMG_20241003_093218.jpg

IMG20241003095824.thumb.jpg.7cf347b5a4d3fed6dbae8c99faca844b.jpg

I think this means it was manufactured on 30/1/53 & was delivered on 5/2/53 to 1st Vehicle Group RAOC HQ Ashchurch in Gloucestershire, 12th B Vehicle Depot Ashchurch with Receipt Voucher ASC/R/6179.

Struck Off Census on 16/3/65 to a direct purchaser without going through sales such as Ruddington. A lot of early Humbers were sold like this to a “Purchaser” or sometimes a “Local Purchaser”, I don’t know the difference. Might have been in BAOR, all Humbers over there had antifreeze markings of a white square with a red circle looks as if this is a variation with a red disc.