MB gearbox query.

Rick W

I can't give you the techy stuff like transmission model numbers, but the postwar CJ3s had a tougher transmission, part of the floor however would need to be slightly raised (2" or so) to accommodate it.

I have a vaguely similar problem in contemplating putting all my CJ3A mechanicals into a MB repro tub, but it seems criminal to cut the floor........

If you want I can take a pic of the CJ3A floor and post it.

As I seem to be having trouble finding any transmission to go with a '42 engine, can anything else be used? A gearbox from a CJ2 or CJ3? What mods need to be done? Alternatively has anyone got one they dont need or know where I can get one?? :?

Rick, the CJ2 or 3 box is a lot bigger as Tony has said. I would have thought there were MB /GPW boxes around.

I do have a complete gearbox / transfer box, but it looks to be well worn and would need complete overhaul, at the least, new bearings and synchros and I have never had the top of it. PM if interested, I am in Kent.

Richard

Thats an original floor - the only thing I contributed in those views are the seat covers and gear lever gaiters!

Got it from a friend who filled a hole in floor (red oxide bit) where a pto drive to generator came through at one time, super mechanicals but body needs a little work to be top drawer stuff. Good little runabout as it is.

Sort of an ex Swiss Airforce 1949 CJ3A/WW2 bitza at present, but nobody seems to notice (or care).

Has anyone ever commented on your resemblance to a woodland animal? Do you find it hard to reach the pedals? ;-)

That's my neighbour - I was taking the photos from a high-lift access platform :whistle:

Has someone been spiking the clubhouse drinks again?

Whats the problem with finding a box? i had no worries when i needed a new casing for mine, think i bought two cases in the end for £60. They often come up on Ebay.

If your struggling to find and original box use a Hotchkiss box instead, they are the same size,look etc and go straight on. On the plus side they are slightly better than the original. I think Dallas Autos has some new Hotchkiss boxes, although that was a few months back.

Baz

Whats the problem with finding a box? i had no worries when i needed a new casing for mine, think i bought two cases in the end for £60. They often come up on Ebay.

If your struggling to find and original box use a Hotchkiss box instead, they are the same size,look etc and go straight on. On the plus side they are slightly better than the original. I think Dallas Autos has some new Hotchkiss boxes, although that was a few months back.

Baz

Thansks, they seem to be a bit thin on the ground at the moment, a kindly fellow member is digging one out of his attic! Anyone got a spare cylinder head or wheels? :-D

• 2 weeks later...

The M201 Hotchkiss built T84 box is a far better option than the post war T90 CJ box. It's far better to use a license built copy of the original T84 than cut up a perfectly good jeep body to accommodate the large T90 box.

The M201 Hotchkiss built T84 box is a far better option than the post war T90 CJ box. It's far better to use a license built copy of the original T84 than cut up a perfectly good jeep body to accommodate the large T90 box.

Good call, thanks. I take it this box is a lot tougher than the wartime unit?