Can anyone identify the sheepskin?

Not a flyers Irvin or B3, I'm thinking; and it seems to have bulgy pockets.  Was this RAC issue or a private purchase?  I've seen similar images but never been able to pin down the jacket.

It is being worn by the cartoonist (and war correspondent) 'Giles'

What are we thinking?

A

(Photo source - © IWM BU 4925) - The Express cartoonist Giles sketches as Cromwell tank crewmen work on their vehicles, 1 May 1945.
Sgt. Hardy, No. 5 Army Film and Photo Section, Army Film and Photographic Unit

309349125_457145329782611_273905950124677202_n.jpg

Fleece jacket.jpg

Edited by Adrian Dwyer
additional info
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Rootes75 said:

I'm thinking for a start its a brilliant photo.

Couldn't agree more!  Superbly posed whilst simultaneously natural: filthy covies, in the mud, under the panzer.  Happy days.

Looking back on the family collection of Giles annuals from the '50s onward, I can now see how the man got such a feel for the post-war army.  I remain intensely envious of his jacket (whatever it is!)

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, garys39 said:

And what about his boots ?

One source suggested they were borrowed from a fireman.  Pretty sure brown boots were not typical of that service.  This does, of course, assume the post-war colourization is accurate.  The boots are different in tone to the RAC black beret, for example. <https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205203337>

large_000000 (1).jpg

Edited by Adrian Dwyer
bw image

You can't trust colourization AT ALL.  It is sad that it has become so commonplace as it distorts history and, in a generation or two's time, no one will know what the real colours were and will simply believe what they see.  Most of it comes from the USA so brown boots are all too commonly applied to British soldiers because they assume, perfectly naturally, that other armies dressed similarly to their own- which is true, of course but only to a degree.  There is a popular picture of a rifleman from 43 Wessex Div which has been colourized - the whole top layer of wooden furniture is coloured black as the colourizer clearly thought it was the exposed barrel.  It ought to be banned!  The same problem exists in the modelling world and in modern paintings of WW2 subjects - very few seem to be able to manage to get the colour of British BD correct and nearly all the vehicles are too light in shade.

But, yes, cracking pictures full of interesting details (no studs on the soles of tank crew boots, for example) and Giles, of course, is beloved by generations who were brought up on his Christmas annuals! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Morning - you make a very good point.  In the BW image, the dusty boots of the crew look a very similar tone/shade to Giles' boots.  Looking more closely, I would also suspect the jacket is a much darker brown: almost a certainty if it is the US ANJ-4.  

So, today's task: go through the loft and see if any on the Giles annuals have survived the numerous house moves!

All the best.

A

On 7/10/2024 at 10:25 PM, 10FM68 said:

You can't trust colourization AT ALL.  It is sad that it has become so commonplace as it distorts history and, in a generation or two's time, no one will know what the real colours were and will simply believe what they see.  Most of it comes from the USA so brown boots are all too commonly applied to British soldiers because they assume, perfectly naturally, that other armies dressed similarly to their own- which is true, of course but only to a degree.  There is a popular picture of a rifleman from 43 Wessex Div which has been colourized - the whole top layer of wooden furniture is coloured black as the colourizer clearly thought it was the exposed barrel.  It ought to be banned!  The same problem exists in the modelling world and in modern paintings of WW2 subjects - very few seem to be able to manage to get the colour of British BD correct and nearly all the vehicles are too light in shade.

But, yes, cracking pictures full of interesting details (no studs on the soles of tank crew boots, for example) and Giles, of course, is beloved by generations who were brought up on his Christmas annuals! 

Now this has been raised, I can't help but think many 'coulourised' images from WW2 are horribly misleading.