Rebore or not rebore?MB.

Rick W

Rick,

You'll need to either strip it or run it to asses the condition. If it smokes alot when running and uses lots of oil, then you may need to do some work on it. If you take the head off and look down the bores, and see heavy scoring etc, then you'll need to rebore it. Otherwise you can give it a light hone, change the rings and it should be ok.

Chris

Taking delivery of an engine for the MB this weekend, how do I know if the cylinders need a rebore and new pistons/rings fitting? :?

Whip the head off and have a look(its the only sensible way), the very simple check is to see if there is a nasty ridge at the top end of the cylinder, if there is then it needs reboring (make sure its not just carbon build up though).

whilsts the head is off it is welath worth checking the valves as they are quite prone to damage, bent valves and pitted seats.

Get this all right before fitting the engine and it will last years trouble free. Mine has done over 12,000 miles without fault. I have had to pop the engine out this week due to the exhaust stud shearing off whilst driving!!!

Baz

While your at it, don't forget the bottom half. If you don't have a full history of the lump it's really worth stripping it all and doing the gaskets, rings, core plugs and anything else, a bit more time and money but a hell of a lot less than if it is in and goes bang.

While your at it, don't forget the bottom half. If you don't have a full history of the lump it's really worth stripping it all and doing the gaskets, rings, core plugs and anything else, a bit more time and money but a hell of a lot less than if it is in and goes bang.

Couldn't agree more :tup:.

Replace the front and rear main crank seals with modern rubber seals, they are 1000 times better than the originals.

Baz

Thanks all. The bores have been relined in the past, the valve seats have been replaced but one is missing. Who would you recommend to get piston rings gaskets and seals from?

I need a head as well, s**s law one just went on ebay a couple of weeks ago, anyone got one?