What Tank?

SimonBrown

The photo is me as a small nipper and was taken (I think) at Bovington Tank Museum in the early 70s. Tank included for scale.

But the question for the HMVF pool of knowledge...what is the tank is in the photo?

I think its a Centurion...but is it?

20240114-0024.jpg

18 hours ago, SimonBrown said:

The photo is me as a small nipper and was taken (I think) at Bovington Tank Museum in the early 70s. Tank included for scale.

But the question for the HMVF pool of knowledge...what is the tank is in the photo?

20240114-0024.jpg

Well, back in those days the floating Centurion was still there - compared to when they dumped it on the ranges. So it might have been that one, or this one if they've taken the side skirt supports off.

image.png.8805b5ef29e235daa37debe1c01ed958.png

No idea if this one is still there 

image.thumb.png.fc67d96d905caf02e85bacabaab57b62.png

Edited by Mark Ellis
typo
  • Like 1

Although the drive sprocket is very large, it is not a Conq because of the brackets that Richard mentioned but also the road wheels are much larger than on the conq.  The suspension units are are also correct for a Cent

• Like 1

5 hours ago, David Herbert said:

It is certainly a Centurion and I think probably the floating one as it has an extension to the track guards that could be for the canvas screen.

So...next question...is it still in the collection? Does anyone know?

I can feel a reprise coming on...with grandson added to the image.

On 1/15/2024 at 5:18 PM, SimonBrown said:

20240114-0024.jpg

Looks like a cent - but is there not one too many idler rollers supporting the track?  I count five.  Or is it a later mod?  Great picture!

Disabled_Centurion_tank_at_Imjin_(AWM_HOBJ2237).jpg

Edited by Adrian Dwyer
additional image
  • Like 1